Starting Yoda - Please explain why this happens..

Gary_N

OK, so Yoda (my '50) has started a new issue concerning starting. It's always been a surprise starting him. You just turn him over and at some point he usually starts without giving any 'warning'. Anyway, at first it was just a matter of three to five pumps, then crank him over for a little bit and then slowly release pressure on the gas pedal, and then he'd start. But never before releasing pressure on the pedal to the point that you eventually disengage the starter and then he'd fire.

Now, using the same procedure, he'll try to fire almost - - then spew gas from everywhere out of the carb and literally suck the choke plate tight against the carb barrel. So tight that I have to remove the air filter and tap the plate with a screw driver to get it opened. Then soak up the gas laying everywhere with a cloth and try again. This will happen at east twice. And then finally he starts. Very strange.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Gary

When that happened with mine, it turned out to be a bad fuel pump...nobody agreed with me, but I've been working around these things for awhile, and I rebuilt the fuel pump...problem solved. Must have been a check valve or something...it would spew gas out of the top of the carburetor. On the other hand, might you have your choke a bit too tight, making everything a bit too rich when you try to start it?

He hates you.

LOL..... Good one!

My guess is the linkage needs some light lubrication with activation without the car running, just to make sure everything is free. I'd use PB Blaster especially where the linkages run through the carb body.

Interesting that you refer to your vehicle in the masculine gender. I do also but most folks here refer to their cars as "her" or "she". I only think of one of my cars as being female and it was not a conscience decision. Coincidently it's the one that always seems to have some kind of issue with something or another, usualy about once a month or so. Hmmmmmmmm.......Bob

Very funny Bob. Actually, I only have one car now with a female name and that's a black Z06. I call her 'Leona' 'cause she's a very bad girl if you know what I mean.

John: The linkage is very free. I've gotten to the point that I just pop the hood and go through the starting routine leaning over the fender.

Aaron: The fuel pump is a rebuilt one from about 5 years ago. I think you have a good point.

I thing I'll change the pump and see what happens.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Gary