Sign in to follow this  
Mssr. Bwatoe

RUBBER BOOT ON STARTER SOLONOID

OK, only hardcore Zefferists should continue. The metal starter solonoid, with

the little button underneath that hooks the batt to the starter and sends power to the car has originally a rubber boot on the right terminal. It covers the "hot" side.

The question, Does it cover just the batt cable, or is the harness from the firewall

stuffed into it also??

Jeff, Not a hard core Zephyrist but I've never seen the harness wires encased in the rubber sleeve on the battery cable, but? Enjoyed your '40 Zephyr U-Tube videos.

I have been bitten by the detail bug, I have been detailing a few small things this spring..

I have found remnants of this this little rubber devil on cars unrestored cars that passed my way, the boot is trashed the first time a starter sol is replaced...kind of a pointless detail, but.......Chris

Herril had the repro in stock!!

I will photo later today..

I think most had them, look at photos of factory.. I dont have any good shots..I have a better solonoid coming from macs ford..with the button, "ford script" and i am gonna reinstall the boot

to cover just the batt cable..outer most connection..this doesnt look right to me..I found one for sure on a 41 I once had...

I FIXED IT, SHOULD JUST COVER BATT CABLE LIKE IN PARTS BOOK

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

runs great, except i hear and knocking from the dist..I rechecked..all ok..but the drive

notch was real worn, i took an old dist from "stock" and used a shaft that was worn..I think it

is sloppy in the end of the cam..I will replace it....carefully..think dist was just dialed in by jf..he commented on the wear..thought it would be ok.,.maybe so. I cant chance it..dogone..it...

Both Jeffs... 1940 Chassis parts catalog shows on page 104 the number 14321 for a "cover (starter cable terminal) used on 86H, 96H and 06H Lincolns-1938, 1939, 1949. A source can be found on page 26 of the Narragansett parts catalog (see sources) for a starter solenoid boot battery cable. Price is $35.00. Hope this helps...

thanks my friend... always a pleasure knowing somone here has the answers we are looking for!! Thanks again!! Jeff

Jeff, I know what you mean about detail. It took me 34 years to finish my

'38 LZ Conv coupe. Some time ago I was looking thru a 2008

Dennis Carpenter Ford tractor parts catalog ,looking for cross

over part #s that will fit our Lincolns. WHOA! what is this? A

Lincoln #! There it was 86H-14321-A ,Battery cable to starter

solenoid rubber cover. I checked my Lincoln parts books, and

there it was. Used on 36-48..The tractor engineers thought

perhaps , why develop something new, lets see whats in the

inventory. Carpenter lists it for $12.00 plus shipping( 2008)

Their web is www.dennis-carpenter.com ph: 704-786-8139

good luck Larry

SEEEEEEE !! I KNEW IT.. Look at next trailered in car meet, see how many have it...

kinda like automatic choke on 41 Customs and Continentals.. some items were altered

early in the life of the machine..