32 exhaust left or right rear

tbirdman

I just got my 32 coupe roadster exhaust from Waldron and it has the exhaust tail pipe coming out the rear on the drivers side. My current exhaust exits straight back from the passenger sode. Which is correct?

Also what heat shields should be used on the exhaust. I see Max Merritt has one for the nufflker. Is this correct. My current muffler looks like it has a heat shield on it as it goes over the rear axle.

Edited by tbirdman (see edit history)

Don't know what model 1932 you have, but are you aware of the factory service letters for 9th-10th-11th series Super Eights and Twelves and the rerouting of the cross-over tailpipe and installation of additional heat shields? This was recommended in cases where vapor lock was thought to result from the exhaust being too close to the fuel tank. I suggest if you don't have them that you get a copy of those service letters. Send me a PM with your email over on the PAC forums if you want me to scan and email to you.

Don't know what model 1932 you have, but are you aware of the factory service letters for 9th-10th-11th series Super Eights and Twelves and the rerouting of the cross-over tailpipe and installation of additional heat shields? This was recommended in cases where vapor lock was thought to result from the exhaust being too close to the fuel tank. I suggest if you don't have them that you get a copy of those service letters. Send me a PM with your email over on the PAC forums if you want me to scan and email to you.

Dave,

Interesting. My current exhaust has a heat shield on it near the rear. I saw a 34 on the PAC forum which has the exhaust straight back like mine. I did PM you on the PAC forum, but I just discovered I do have the service letters. So looks like a cross over pipe or a straight pipe is correct though not desirable with the current ethanol gas we have. So I'll ask Waldron probably to bend me a another pipe free of charge as their pictures on their web site show a straight back pipe and not a cross over.

tbirdman, never did receive a PM from you on The Packard Club's forums, but I did post an except from the Service Letter on PackardInfo.com in your thread about the exhaust pipe wrap. As to your other questions, I'm a bit of a purist and I'd leave the system as stock as possible, and I've never found a reason not to. The exhaust header wrap no doubt keeps heat down in the passenger compartment, I think anything else is of questionable value.

I spoke with Joe, the owner of Waldron. He appeared readily wanting me to have a correct system on my car and to be a satisfied customer. We discussed at length the service letters changing the possible location of the exhaust tail pipe. he did locate some pictures wehich show the tail pipe exiting the left rear. So we agreed that I would send back his tail pipe and also send him my tailpipe section from the car which he will replicate. Since I don't an engine in the car, I can only estimate how long the tail pipe should be. So he will make it longer and when I'm ready to install, I will just cut off the extra length that fits into the muffler. I am going to pick up shipping both ways.

I think it's a fair deal, and I like the way Joe treated me as a customer. Thumbs up for Waldron.

This gets interesting. I went to remove the tail pipe section today. On the right side of the car floor right above where the exhaust loops around the rear axle, there is an indentation on the floor to give clearance to the exhaust. There is no such indentation on the other side. Also there are no holes for an exhaust bracket on the rear left of the car. So I'm thinking maybe the exhaust came from the factory exiting on the right. Perhaps other 32s had it exiting on the left but a coupe roadster had it on the right.

Also I have a late 32 delivery car so don't know if that had anything to do with it.

I got under the car today and did some further analysis. Even if I used the cross over tail pipe section, the exhaust system is short by about 17". The difference is entirely in the length of the muffler. Appears to me I was maybe shipped an exhaust for a 900 or 901 which has a shorter wheelbase.

So based on the floor indentations, exhaust hanger holes and the length of the exhaust system, I think Waldron shipped me the wrong exhaust system for my car.

Guest cben09

This is of no value here,,,except it may help somebody,,,Larry and I had a 1932 Twin6 tonneau/w'shield phaeton,,and it had a left tail pipe,,crossover after the axle I think,,avoiding the drive shaft,,ORIGINAL system,,pipe only 1/2 there,,We guessed it was so that the fumes would not be next to the kerb and passengers,,nice talking point for the salesman too,,we chose to go straight back on the rt side Less bucks and gettsit done,,all this 1950-1956 thereabouts,,this was a daily driver at 8mpg,,but it would chew up an X-K 120m,,, w/6people aboard,,any where annntime,,grin,,I think it was because of cars like this that R-R made the P-III ,,Has annyone raced a Packard-12 against a Duzy,,Never had the chance,,Ben

Edited by cben09
omit (see edit history)

This is of no value here,,,except it may help somebody,,,Larry and I had a 1932 Twin6 tonneau/w'shield phaeton,,and it had a left tail pipe,,crossover after the axle I think,,avoiding the drive shaft,,ORIGINAL system,,pipe only 1/2 there,,We guessed it was so that the fumes would not be next to the kerb and passengers,,nice talking point for the salesman too,,we chose to go straight back on the rt side Less bucks and gettsit done,,all this 1950-1956 thereabouts,,this was a daily driver at 8mpg,,but it would chew up an X-K 120m,,, w/6people aboard,,any where annntime,,grin,,I think it was because of cars like this that R-R made the P-III ,,Has annyone raced a Packard-12 against a Duzy,,Never had the chance,,Ben

Thanks. The tail pipe piece does crossover after the axle. I preferring it to go straight back. Won't cost any more but don't want to be heating up the gas tank anymore than I have to. And it's correct per the Packard service letters. I just can't figure out whythey would ship an exhaust system that was a foot and a half too short.

Guest cben09

Did they use a resonater as in the 1925,,236 single 8,,It was at an angle on the way up over the axle,,small dia[4"dia maybee] I think that was earlier,,,Ben