1953 special front shock problem

Guest oldrides

Guest oldrides

Hello everyone, I have a 1953 buick special with a slight leaning problem. I think maybe one of the front shocks are frozen or I have a weak shock on one side causing the car to lean. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Would anyone know the easyest way to remove them so I can send them out and have them rebuilt? Where is the best/cheapest place to send them? I figure if I jack the car up in the center front and take the weight off the springs I should be able to unbolt them from the top and remove them, But I cant figure out how? same with installing them. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks For any help. oldrides

Oldrides, I can't imagine the shock itself causing the leaning problem. I CAN imagine the bushings being dry and binding. Try lubing the bushings, bouncing the car as you apply grease. May or may not help, but worth a try.

To remove the springs, you will need a Jack beneath the spring as well. Jacking the center of the car will not remove the tension from the spring.

Ben

Springs hold up the weight of the car. Shock absorbers absorb shocks.

Your car most likely has a weak spring. The shock absorbers have nothing to do with it.

The lever action shocks used on your Buick never wear out. Fill them with oil and they are good as new. About the only thing to wear out is the seals. If they are shot you will find out when you put in the oil, it will leak out.

If you can't get knee action fluid or shock oil, use hydraulic jack oil or motorcycle fork oil.

Replace the springs in pairs or all 4 at a time. A new spring will lift up your car and throw it off the other way.

For a temporary repair there are rubber blocks that can be inserted in the coils to lift up the low corner.