Sign in to follow this  
sosuzguy

194 vs 161 bulbs

I need to replace all the bulbs in the speedo and warning lights on an 85 Riv. I've looked in the 85 service manual and 83 service manual and have found in the chassis electrical section what bulb numbers for most every car from those year except for the Riviera and Regal! Does anyone know where this might be listed? It's not in the owners manuals either. I know that some of the Riv bulbs I've seen in the past used 161 bulbs while the Volts light used a 194..in the early 79-85 years..however in the past I've used 194 bulbs. Anyone have any idea what the difference is in these two bulbs? The service manual says both are 2 candle power. Would it be okay to use all 194 bulbs? Thanks...

Thanks Ed, do you have a service manual? maybe mine has pages missing? Still not sure which bulb for what socket.

Jayosn,

No service manual. The link I sent to you is from Sylvania's website. Is there any way to look at the bulb you pull and see what's written on it or did some previous owner really screw things up for you.

Ed

I have the full 1984 chassis manual, the body manual and the owner's manual; no light bulb chart in any of them.:(

Thanks Jim, as I suspected. I did find that on this one all of the speedo related bulbs that I took out were 194. The only 161 was for the high beam indicator.

Jayson,

Now that you've opened this can of worms I've got a couple of questions.

What are the small bulbs on my '85 that provide the ambient lighting for the a/c vents and are tucked up under the dash cover? Most of what is readily available - 161 and 194 - seem too bright. (I came up with a fix for those lenses when you break a tab on one; I'll tell you about it later when I can post some pictures.)

Can anyone recommend a brighter bulb for the dash lights? I cannot see the cruise light on my '85 during the day; especially when I have my sunglasses on.

I'm not surprised that the 84/85 manuals don't list bulbs; none of my manuals for the earler models do either. I guess you're expected to pull one, read it, and get the replacement; like we all have this big assortment of bulbs just lying around.:D

Ed

I can get those "ambient" bulbs and lenses all day long from the u-pick I go to. How many and how much are they worth to you? [This applies to anyone]

The best I can come up with is the 161 or 194 bulbs. Maybe try the 161 bulb in amber to darken it a bit?

I just replaced all the bulbs last night in one of mine. It really made a huge difference with just fresh 194 bulbs in it! The cruise light has always been dim, just something they did that didn't seem to make any sense. I do know that there was a service bulletin on these calling for the filters to be changed out.

The 85 manual has a section that list like 4 of the Buick cars with bulb charts but Riviera is not one of them, but the 1982 SM does!

SM_82_Bulb chart & speedo.pdf

post-48336-143138188373_thumb.jpg

Edited by sosuzguy
add attachments (see edit history)

Ed I did some editing and pulled together the bulb chart and back of the speedo from the 82 Riviera and posted it in my previous reply. It list some funny bulb number for interior illumination. I have no idea which ones would go into the dash down lighting.

I would guess that the 161 bulbs would throw off less heat than a 194. It seems like the bulbs in the close plastic housings use the 161's.

That chart from the service manual looks like the "Direct panel illumination" uses the 161 bulb. That might be what GM specified for the "ambient" lights above the A/C vents. :confused: