1963 heater control valve...help

Guest seattlerivi

Guest seattlerivi

hello all,

wondering if anyone knows where I can get my hands on a heater control valve for a 63 rivi, mine is shot, checked with old buick parts as well as opgi...no luck

also while at it im looking for a windsheild wiper motor, hard to drive in seattle without wipers :D

as always thanks for the help

mark:)

Check the Tech Tips section on the ROA website. Jim Cannon gives detailed instructions on how to replace it with a more modern one that works off the same vacuum that controls the heat doors.

There are no replacements, repairs, or reproductions for the OEM valve. You're only hope for that would be if you happend to find one on ebay, in Hemmings, or in the classifieds of the Riview.

Ed

63 and 64 heater control valves are polar opposites of each other. If you put a '64 control valve on a '63, when you push to open the vavle, you'll close the valve. The 63 is push to open, the 64 is pull to open. The hose fittings also come off at different angles. Sorry,

Ed

Check the Tech Tips section on the ROA website. Jim Cannon gives detailed instructions on how to replace it with a more modern one that works off the same vacuum that controls the heat doors.

Ed

Ed,

Is there any where that article exists that isn't in a members only section of a website? I'd be interested to read it as I have a full size with a similar setup.

Guest 40series

OK then;

I am sure there is one on the two 63's out there also. But they are pretty rusty and the crusher is coming soon.

SeattleRiv (for lack of a given name ;))

You might go take a look at Marty's (Series40) '64 that he just got in. I'm not too sure about this, but in my mind the heater and a/c controls on a '64 are similar to those on a 63 Riviera - still a row of levers under the lip of the dash. If so, it may be possible that the '64 Electras, Wilcats, and LeSebres have the same temperature control valve as the 63 Riviera.

On the '63, the two hose fittings are about 90* from each other and the lever that controls the positon of the valve points in the opposite direction (up) of the hose fittings.

The hose fittings on the '64 valve are close to 180* from each other and the lever that controls the valve points down between them.

Sorry, my desktop is at the Geek's place and the laptop I'm using doesn't have my pictures on it or I could show you the difference. If Series40 can send you a picture, I can identify it.

Ed

Mark,

Check out "delcojoe" on ebay. I believe he rebuilds the water control valves. The 63 and 64 heater controls are very different, the 63 only uses cable controls for the water valve, not vacuum. Another option, if you don't need the car totally original is to install a late 70's to early 80's GM "A" body heater water control valve which are vacuum controlled. You can use a vacuum switch that is controlled by the Riviera's heater cable or convert the valve over to be directly controlled by the heater cable.

Tim