Interiors - Original v. Restoration v. Replacement

Guest JHorner

Guest JHorner

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums and have a question that I would pose to everyone regarding a vehicles interior once a vehicle crosses over into that classic or antique category.

I would imagine that an original, unmolested interior would be considered to be the most desirable by judges and collectors. But, is there any circumstance that a restored or replaced interior would be just as acceptable? For instance, many of the vehicles manufactured today are made with inferior quality materials, i.e. the 'leathers' that are being offered. These materials tend to discolor, crack, and generally deteriorate at an accelerated rate compared to the materials of the past regardless of the level of care offered to attempt to prevent it. Would a 'new' interior in a classic or antique significantly decrease the value of the vehicle or how 'correct' the vehicle is provided the 'new' interior uses similar materials, color, and construction?

I know the question is somewhat vague, but I'm interested in hearing how something like this would be handled, judged, and/or appraised. Thanks for your time.

Hello JHorner, others will hopefully chime in, but it seems to me your question covers two possible different directions of judging and showing which you should look into if you plan to show your car in the AACA (or just to decide what to do).

In regular AACA judging (as described above) a car starts at 400 points and deductions are taken for any imperfections. This level of showing is for cars with full restorations or near perfect originals as any wear or incorrect parts will quickly hurt your score. So if your car has a worn original interior, or other shabby appearance, it will count against you and a correct new one would be better.

BUT to encourage one to keep an original car intact, there is a newer class for cars with Historic Preservation of Original Features (HPOF). This class would reward your leaving a decent original interior (and other parts of the car) intact. Depending on your car's age and condition this may be the way to go, and collectors now really value unrestored original cars in good shape. Any other thoughts from regulars, maybe from ShopRat? Good luck, Todd C

Guest billybird

What poci1957 stated is the beauty of AACA. There is a place for everyone. Also, let us not forget the Driver Participation Class [DPC]. This is a class for cars that for whatever reason do not wish to be point judged or HPOF. By the way; welcome to the forum, It's a great place!

Guest Siegfried

I love cars, trucks, tractors, etc. Doesn't really matter what make or model as they all have special features that make each, and every one unique. When it comes too restored versus original I have a bit of a problem. The problem is, when to restore, and when not to. I like to drive my antiques, and the result is that unless I am willing to spend a lot of time, and effort in detailing them for show then, I have a problem. Simply put, I love to keep all my vehicles clean (and that includes the engine compartment and chassis) but not necessarily factory fresh. As a result I show my vehicles in HPOF and DPC. To date I have no regrets over my decision.

Sure A 1st. Junior, Senior, and National Award Winner Tabs would look fantastic, and be well worth the effort to achieve them, but I'm not going to get there. I have too many other interests that I like to pursue, and vehicle detailing really cuts into my free time for other interests!

<O:p</O:p

The choice is all you're. HPOF and DPC are really good classes. HPOF changed awhile back from 45 years to 35 years, a good decision. DPC is really great for vehicles that don't fit into the HPOF class due to age. In both classes you'll see original vehicles. They won't be perfect, but they will be drivers, and you'll get a good education on what a car looked like from the factory.<O:p</O:p

Guest JHorner

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone and for the information that you all provided. I will feel much less guilty about using and enjoying my vehicles and also about the possibility of replacing the interiors with 'correct' 'new' interiors later in their lives. Thanks again everyone!