Trying to identify '68 Oldsmobile 442 400 engine part

Guest jaygtx440

Guest jaygtx440

I have a '68 Olds 442 400 engine part that I cannot identify. I purchased this engine as a block, heads and boxes of parts. There is a strip of metal in the lifter galley area that covers the camshaft. I understand what that is. I believe it is to keep the camshaft from slinging oil. The part in question seems like it would go on top of that strip. The two bolt holes seem to line up with the bolts on the strip and it is constructed of the same grade of metal. It has the look of a bucket on a front loader. (That's the best comparison I could come up with). It measures about 10 3/4" X 8" and is about 2 1/4" deep. Here are some pics. ( Hopefully they upload). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Jay<!-- google_ad_section_end --> post-66939-143138186596_thumb.jpg

post-66939-143138186601_thumb.jpg

post-66939-143138186605_thumb.jpg

Edited by jaygtx440 (see edit history)

That part is an oil baffle that goes in the lifter valley. As you surmise, it is retained using the two tapped holes in the valley. It is not used on the 1968 400 motor, so someone threw it in that box by mistake. This baffle was used on the earlier big block motors, when the individual intake gaskets were used. Your 68 uses the one-piece "turkey tray" intake gasket that replaces the baffle in the photo.