Temp control broken on '63: need advice!

Guest gordond

Guest gordond

HI. 1st time 4 this...Poised 2 buy '63 Riv. Has issue w temp control; loose,no heat...Broken cable? Parts? $? Turn signals and elec seat are also intermittent. Parts? $?? Know good mechanic. Very nice car, though. Appreciate any advice. Would like 2 purchase car & join Riv Club! Thanks.

If the lever is loose, I'm 99.9% sure that it would be the diecast arm that connects the thumb button to the cable that controls the temp. control vavle. The control valve is probably corroded solid and someone thought that "if I just push a little harder, it will break free." Wrong, what broke free was the die cast arm; it's now in two pieces.

The only way to fix it (for it to work like OE) is to find a parts car that has a good arm, remove it ,and rebuild the entire assembly with the arm from the parts car. I've done it so it can't be too hard. Then you'll need to find another temp control valve. The hardest part. You also need to make sure that the cable is lubed properly and runs freely in the housing.

OR, take a look on the ROA's website and look in the Tech Tips section to see Jim Cannon's fix using a later model temp. control valve and a vacuum connection to control it. It takes a very discerning eye to see that it's not OE.

Ed

The issues you mention are all minor, use them to help ratchet the price down. Look for rust--that could be the deal-breaker. Weak spots are rear window, rear body mounts, rear wheel openings and wheelhouse panels, floors and brace. Get it on a lift and inspect before you seal the deal.

John

Guest gordond

Thanks for input. Looked car over closely, minimal surface rust. No smoke. Drives well. Wanted to be sure fixing temp control,elec seat & turn sig (both intermittent) wouldn't be

terribly problematic & costly. I'll certainly use these issues as a bargaining chip. Thanks for

encouragement.

Gordon

Problems with electric seats and turn signals could be a simple matter of cleaning and/or adjustments. Use them as a bargaining tool but don't worry about them being a deal breaker in any way. The temperature control assembly was used on other Buicks as well as the Riviera. Those parts too can be found. For as old as the car is, it sounds like it's in pretty good shape although you haven't stated what the asking price is. Information on the Riviera Owners Association can be found on the website. www.rivowners.org

Ed

"elec seat & turn sig (both intermittent)"

I had this same issue when I bought my '63. Look for a pin connector under the carpet on the driver's side. Have to remove the seat and and power slider, the the door sill to peel back the carpet. Clean and reconnect this plug and both should work as intended. No real cost other than your time. Hope this helps.