Sign in to follow this  
sherman1947

55 PONTIAC POWER BRAKE RESERVOIR

I have a 55 Pontiac Starchief V-8 with P/S & P/B. I am having trouble trying to remove the brake reservoir cap. Is there a special tool to remove the cap? The clearance and space from the top is limited and I was not able to remove it from under the car. All I have manged to do is cut my fingers. Please advise. My car has been sitting for 1 year +. I have no brake pedal from sitting for over 1 year and wanted to check fluid level first. I did not see any external leak at the wheels. I did see a little crusting on the outside of the power brake unit. Thanking anyone for there time.

Regards,

Mark S.

The cap (has a large hex head) is placed in a awkward position to say the least. To have any chance of accessing it take the protective covers off underneath if your car still has them. You need to get underneath the car and reach around everything with both hands to try and loosen the cap. Once loose you can't see the fluid level due to the openings location. I use a mirror or my finger to check the fluid.

The fluid reservoir is extremely small so if bleeding the brakes don't run it dry. To fill the reservoir I use a skinny long flexible funnel (remember it doesn't hold much) from the engine compartment. Pontiac used 2 different type master cylinders in 1955 one being the Delco Marine which is somewhat harder to get parts for. It wasn't long before they moved these into a better more serviceable location.

Good luck.

Yup, that Pontiac brake installation is enough to dispell the quaint notion of easy serviceability on 1950s cars, isn't it? Let us know how it goes and good luck, Todd C