Any tips on door skin removal on a '64 Riviera

Guest Scotsbass

Guest Scotsbass

Hi All,

Just a quick one - I've located a remote door mirror at last, but it is still on the car being parted out....SO.....

1) what's the easiest way to remove the outer skin?

2) what's the easiest way to remove the inner door trim to retrieve the remote control?

Any help would be VERY gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Keith

Guest Scotsbass

Good idea, but sadly the door is "promised to another"...so it's time for the penetrating oil!

Thanks though

Keith

The nuts around the door seal are easy. If they're corroded, you might have to put some pressure on the outside of the skin to keep the stud from spinning inside the skin. The ones that are hiding from you are the ones under the stainless trim on the top of the door. Remove the screw from the front of the smaller piece that under the vent window. Sliding it forward will reveal some more screws that fasten the skin to the door frame. The skin can now be lifted off the frame. I think that you should be able to remove the escuteon from the inner door panel and pull the remote out to a point where it can be released from the cables without removing the inner panel. Be sure to mark each cable in relation to where it attaches to the joy stick. The mirror and cable can then be removed from the outside.

Ed

There are a ring of acorn head "t-bolts" around the door that hold most of the skin on. There is also a few screws in the window channel under the exterior chrome if I remember correctly. It doesn't take a whole lot to take it off, just be careful as the remote cable is only so long and you don't want to screw up the door lock mechanism.