67 buick Wildcat turn signal switch

Larry Minery

In 67', I bought this Wildcat new. After about 20 years, the turn signal switch quit working. I replaced it with an exact replacement from a dealer, both switches were Mfg. by Boyne, part No. 7805675, pinkish-red in color. All was good for another 20+ years, now the second switch is bad. Over the years I had picked up two NOS switches at BCA swap meets. Both boxes stated they were for ALL 67 Buicks with cornering lamps, I thought I was all set to change the switch for the third time, WRONG! These two NOS switches are Mfg. by Saginaw, labeled genuine GM parts, part No. 7800483, Gr. No. 2.895 and are all white. As I was trying to mount the switch in the switch cup, I noticed two differences. One is that the hazard switch hole (Saginaw) needs to be about 1/2 inch below where the Boyne hole was. Also one mounting hole is in a different location, which seems to make no difference, as all three peices of metal work have holes to except this bolt. OOPS!, bad slip, sliced open my finger, so my wife takes me off to the ER for stiches. While waiting for finger to heal, I keep thinking, is this saganaw switch going to work in the end:confused: I drilled a new hole for the hazard switch and it fits fine into the cup. Has any-one done this exchange, and do I face unknown problems:( Thank you for any feedback you may have. Larry Minery

I think I'd be more concerned if the switch had the necessary wiring to run the cornering lamps or not, IF there is something different in that area between the two switches.

When I changed the switch in my '68 LeSabre, I discovered the two different manufacturers listed in the GM Parts book, but only casting numbers for identification. Without the original one removed, I opted for the Saginaw switch and that's what it had.

Where I ran into issues was in getting the horn pad on the steering wheel and the horn contacts to assemble correctly and the horn to work. Seemed like it was a crapshoot about getting it all lined up, and then pushed into place. Good thing my shade tree shop is in something of a light industrial area with all of the horn honking that went on during that final step of the installation process!

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

NTX5467: Thanks for the thoughts! Both of the NOS Saginaw switches have the 3 wire coronering lamp connector. Both of the Saginaw switches I have work great when I just pulged the connectors togeather. You got lucky that you were replacing a Saginaw with a Saginaw. I have heard that the Saginaw is a much better part than The Boyne. As soon as my finger heals for a few more days, I will be back at it! Thanks again, Larry

Guest Buick Bonery

One thing you should consider is that turn signal switches are different for tilt columns versus non tilt.

Guest 75RivGS

I assume that those switches are the same for a '68 Wildcat (??). Have a Cat with tilt and cornering lights in need of a new turn signal switch. The only sourch I have found so far is a switch on eBay, but since the seller doesn't specify whether it is a switch for tilt/cornering lights ( AC Delco TURN SIGNAL SWITCH buick WILDCAT part 68 67 : eBay Motors (item 230449723966 end time Apr-13-10 20:16:59 PDT)) I doubt whether that is the right one.

So looking for a lead to the right switch.

Looking forward to see any updates on the installation!

Hi Rob: I have a couple of places you might try for your switch. http://.www.rockauto.com/ or http://.www.opgi.com This second place is called Original Parts Group, they are in Seal Beach in So. Cal. International No. is 562.594.1000 They are starting to carry 1963-1076 Riviera Parts and also Skylark, GS & GSX. You can order their catalogs. Hope this helps, if not let me know, I may find more info befor long. Larry

For anyone interested, today I finished the transplant of the Boyne (part # 7805675, Gr.# 2.895) turn signal switch to the Saginaw switch (part # 7800483, Gr. # 2.895) and all works great! The only physical change is to drill a new hole to accomidate the hazard switch of the Saginaw unit in the switch/bearing cup. A small metal stop for the shift lever needs to be relocated to a new mounting hole ( no drilling rquired). All three metal pieces that the switch mounts to, the cup, the bearing bracket and the shift detent bracket all have holes to except either brand od switch. Not a hard job at all once you figure it out. Any one with questions, feel free to email me at wildcatminery@socal.rr.com

Guest 75RivGS

Thanks for the update Larry.

It will take a few months before I will start with that operation (the Cat is still in the USA). And since I'm not experienced with pre 71 Buicks and turn signal switches I might have some questions while replacing.

Does your Wildcat have tilt steering?

Rob: No, my 67 Wildcat does not have tilt, but my 65 Wildcat does have tilt and I have never had any problems with that switch. The 65 did not have cornnering lamps when I got it and I added them. Instead of changing to a switch with the cornnering lamp option, I built an electronic circuit that turns the cornnering lamp on when the turn signal is on, works great. Larry

• 2 weeks later...

About a week ago I finished the transplant of the old Boyne turn switch (part # 7805675 gr.#2.895) with a new Saginaw switch (part #7800483 gr. #2.895). As I put the origional canceling cam, the one used with the Boyne switch and the steering wheel back on, I was a little worried about the canceling cam being the right one, as the Boyne switch has two canceling lobes and the Saginaw has only one. Sure enough, the switch canceles for a left turn, but not for a right turn!!!!! Would anyone have a parts book that would give the correct part # for the Saginaw (780043) canceling cam??? Thank you for any info. Larry Minery

• 1 month later...
Guest 75RivGS

Larry, any update yet on the switch?

So the 7800483 was not the right one?

There's a NOS one on eBay... for me that's just too much money for just a try especially because the seller doesn't state it is for a Wildcat

part7800483turnsignswtc.jpg

67 - 68 PONTIAC - BUICK OLDS TURN SIGNAL SWITCH 7800483 : eBay Motors (item 130230065122 end time Jun-01-10 08:32:53 PDT)

Well, I figure I just wait till I get my Cat here and can compare the actual switch with different ones on eBay.