titles

Guest daytona

Guest daytona

I have a !958 Morris Minor Traveler with no title. I bought the car from a guy in Maine thinking that a title was not needed in CT with a car this old, which is true but I guess need the last registration as well. The car was in a warehouse for over 25 years in Maine and before that in a warehouse in PA. I do not have any way to get the last registration as it has not been registered in over 30yrs and probably two or three owners ago. Any ideas how to get around this??

Guest daytona

When I called the DMV they said they needed the State of Maine registration from the last owner to prove that he owned it and could legally send it to me. I think the best thing for me to do is to go there and talk to someone and figure it out.

Now here is a thought... I wonder if they want the old reg to show the vin, so that you don't have to bring the car for a vin check? That reg is only needed if the car was a CT car to bypass it's needing a vin check; so I think someone misunderstood something. What I mean is that a car that was a registered CT car at some point in life, it then does not need a vin check "if" you can prove it was a CT registered car.

Any out of state oldie must get a vin check...either at a DMV, or an approved auto shop, or by a Officer, Judge, etc.

Like you say, go in person. :)

Guest bofusmosby

Funny you should bring up the Vin # thing. My car is coming from Montana, and it will be a Florida car. The tag place told me that i would have to drive my car to them to make sure the vin # was the same on the car, as it is on the title. They never said anything about me having it checked by a Police officer. I would have to drive it illeagally to the tag place, and hope to not get a ticket for driving without a tag, or registration. Mqybe I should ask the tag place if an officer of the law can read it, and let them know it is the same.

Funny you should bring up the Vin # thing. My car is coming from Montana, and it will be a Florida car. The tag place told me that i would have to drive my car to them to make sure the vin # was the same on the car, as it is on the title. They never said anything about me having it checked by a Police officer. I would have to drive it illeagally to the tag place, and hope to not get a ticket for driving without a tag, or registration. Mqybe I should ask the tag place if an officer of the law can read it, and let them know it is the same.

Usually, you can either ask a police officer to swing by your place and check it or you can trailer it to the DMV for verification. I trailered my '29 Chrysler 75 to the DMV. The lady came out to look at the FEDCO tag on the dash. She could not read it, I deciphered it for her and she said "o.k...I see the number you mentioned", signed me off and I was on my way.

When I had VIN on an out of state title corrected before registering it I just called the local police department and they came out and confirmed the VIN on the out of state title was a type-o to the actual VIN on the car. They also did a VIN search on their radio before they signed off on the VIN correction. I would believe that they would have performed a simular service if I need to confirm a VIN of an old unregistered car without a title before applying for a title.

Guest Siegfried

I purchased 2 Vespa scooters at Hershey years back. One from New Hampshire, and the other from New Jersey. Neither scooter had a title. New Hampshire doesn't issue titles. No sure about New Jersey. All I had for proof of ownership was a sales receipt, and for the New Jersey scooter it was a pre-notarized receipt. PaDOT told me to contact the local police department to verify the VIN, and then PaDOT would issue a title. It worked out mighty fine for me, and I got the titles. Good luck. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Guest bofusmosby

I agree about the different states having different rules, however, at least I will be asking the tag/title place about this. All they can say is no. Its worth a try.

Thanks guys!

Guest Dee Jay

In MN a friend of mine bought a 29 AA truck that had been laying in the woods for years. His intention was to restore it so he applied for a title for it. The person at the DMV told him that because it was a truck,it would have to pass a DOT inspection before they could issue a title.

Guest Siegfried
Forum answers to questions like this usually are not very helpful since state law governs auto titling. Thus only answers from those experienced in the particular state you are buying the vehicle from or transferrring the vehicle to are meaningful.

Right on with your answer. Sure would be nice if the states could get together on a 'common sense set of rules'. Maybe in my next life-time!!!