Need data for 1928 Anti-Stall circuit

Guest stude8

Guest stude8

When acquired my 1928 Studebaker Commander Big Six Victoria was equipped with a NON-STUDEBAKER component called "Anti - Stall". It is a large switch affair installed in the dash board with a face plate that describes how to use it in the event the "if the Generator goes dead and the Starter cuts in while motor is running". There are two pushbutton switches labeled "A" (*used to kill the engine by opening the ignition coil primary circuit to stop engine then restore the circuit to restart engine) and "B" (*which is a heavy switch wired parallel with the floor mounted factory starter motor primary circuit) protruding from the face plate.

This thing is apparently an early version of what in the early 1930's was called "Startix". I have never seen one previously or since I obtained this car.

If one looks behind the dash board there is a large black box that has power in and out for the ignition primary, then what looks like the generator field circuit wire in and out and last the two battery cables that run parallel with factory starter switch under the floor.

I would like to find a copy of any written installation or service literature about this gadget or an owners guide about its operation. I suspect it senses whether the gererator is functioning or not to enable restarting the engine when vehicle is in motion without using the drivers two feet as is required when starting from a standing still position.

Stude8

post-31139-143138185259_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138185261_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138185264_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stude8

Since I am resolving other electrical items on My 28 Commander I decided to remove the "Anti-Stall" device from the car presently until I can obtain a schematic or instruction sheet about it to eliminate any negative conditions it might impose on the vehicle wiring.

Attached are some detail photos of the device, I found the trade mark entertaining, a steam locomotive bearing down on a touring car full of people stalled on a grade crossing.

Stude8

post-31139-143138188515_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138188517_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138188519_thumb.jpg

FACINATING ........ I have seen 40's cars that have a ground circuit for the starter solenoid run through the field of the generator, to prevent over cranking. Does this gadget engage the starter if the generator dies to move the car from being run over by the train? Please keep us posted

Chris

Guest stude8

This car was before days of solenoids, there is a mechanical foot switch on floor board and the push button switch in Anti-Stall device is parallel with it to connect battery NEG to starter motor input. The small (top) switch is to prevent the large (lower) push button from engaging starter motor in event engine is running (Big crunch otherwise). I will have to disassemble the Anti-Stall device to draw an electrical schematic of how ever it is wired internally.

Stude8

I don't understand it at all...especially late at night :)

I guess you would have mentioned a patent number if it had one? That would have allowed a text to explain it's function.

So if no patent number, is there a way to search for a starting invention by certain years? Sounds difficult.

Guest stude8

The mystery has been solved, thanks to "Brian In OZ" down in Australia, he found the patent application from Dec 30, 1924 in Canadian Patent records.

See his info at http://forums.aaca.org/f126/need-data-1928-anti-stall-system-278991.html. Scroll to response #4 and the application can be viewed online. The Anti-Stall device is more sophisticated than I had expected.

Stude8