Another Unique Grill

Jim Bollman

I hate it when I see such a unique grill and can't pull the make out of the old brain cells. The first one is the one that has e stumped, I think the second one is a 39 Ford. This is another street shot from 1947 Philly

Phily-NBroadSt-Cars2.jpg

Thanks, I think your right on the 41 Ford. You don't see many of them. You might be right on the 40 also. Didn't the 39 Delux have the same grill as the 40 Standard?

Guest Bob Call

The front car is a 41 Ford and the second one is a 40 Ford Standard. The 39 Deluxe and 40 Standard are the same grille and hood. The difference from the front is the location of the windshield wiper towers. On the 39 they are above the windshield on the front edge of the roof. On the 40 they are on the cowl just below the windshield.

This carry over was also found in the 39 model year. The 38 Deluxe and the 39 Standard were the same.

The 39 deluxe had the bulb/reflector/glass headlights although it was common to put the 40 lights into them.I also think the 39 grille was stainless and you wouldnt replace that with the painted 40 grille. I didn,t know about the top/bottom wiper location. that would be a good thing to know if you only had the cowl. The car in the back looks like it has a potter trunk.

I didn't think about the different wiper location between 39 and 40, but the 39 deluxe grilles did have stainless strips over the verticle steel bars of the grille while the 40 standard had a painted grille with a bright center piece (as shown). Also there are slight differences between a 38 Deluxe and a 39 Standard grille. I had a 38 Deluxe cpe. and used to know most differences between those years but I forget.

Jay