Sign in to follow this  
bofusmosby

'37 Pontiac headliner question

I have not had my car delivered as of yet, but I was just told yesterday by the guy who sold me the car that when the headliner was replaced, that they did not make an opening for the dome light. I was told that the wiring is all there, including the switch on the passenger side, but no dome light. He says the dome light is in a box in the trunk. So, I will be needing to install this.

My question is when I open a small area in the headliner to install the dome light, are there any special methods of doing this, and is there something that I need to do to prevent the headliner from tearing later on?

Any advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated, and thank you!

Edited by bofusmosby
addition (see edit history)

Having done this I can say, Make the smallest cut you can possibly get by with. Feel the headliner in that area and "see" whats under the spot where the dome light goes. Remenber; you can always cut more, but it's difficult to patch a hole cut too big to start with.

Thanks guys. According to the body manual, there are 2 screws that holds the dome light assembly in place. OK, I understand about making a "small cut for the wires, as well as the 2 screw holes, but I was worried about the material running, and tearing more later on after the dome light was mounted. I didn't know if maybe I should sew (yea right, me sew) along the edges to prevent this from happening.

Hi Jim, sewing is not necessary.

First, carefully feel around for the mounting (it is good that you have a body manual). If you can find the two screw holes have a small, clean awl to locate them and poke a hole. As long as you are careful the material should not run. Test fit the dome lamp assembly by gently running the screws in, maybe halfway; this should show you where the "x" will need to be cut to accomodate the wire and possibly a sunken part of the lamp unit. Just go slow and careful and it will be OK and the bezel will cover everything. Good luck, Todd C

Just make a small X for the wires to come thru and poke a couple of holes for the screws. Once you fasten the light in place, it will hold the material and prevent it tearing or unravelling. That is all they did at the factory.