52 Super Woody In Texas $2900

Guest BJM

Stuart,

I am very active in the 'buying' end of these transactions lately and even these woodies are not finding homes very easily. I would say this can be purchased for $2,000.

I have looked at a 50 Roadmaster woodie in Iowa (very very rare) and the wood is all but gone. I would expect the wood alone for that car (or the 52 for that matter) would run $30,000 or more just because nobody has the "kits" any more that I know of.

To do that from scratch without the wood present - that's the issue. If youhave the old dry rotted wood and the unobtainium (as Bill Stoneberg says it) hardware in the back - then your wood costs would be less.

I have everybody knocking 15% to 35% off previous asking prices for cars I am interested in.

Jake,

Thanks for bringing this car to our attention. I like the car a lot; very cool indeed. Would agree that restoration costs for the car in its entirety will considerably exceed $30K, although I can't see why the woodwork alone would be anywhere near that amount. It is really not all that difficult to recreate with the appropriate tools and a good eye. Cutting all the compound curves is the trickiest part, but truth be told most of the work can be done with a bandsaw, a good disk/drum sander, and a lot of trial fitting. I am certain of this as I am an expert woodworker (much better than my skills as a mechanic). This particular woody does not have the volume of wood present that I have seen on some, so that would reduce the effort to some degree. Here is a link to a 1953 model which should be similar.

1953 Buick Woody Station Wagon - Green - Front Angle

Thanks,

Mike. You're hired! LOL.

I was considering the purchase of the 1950 Roadmaster Woody here in Iowa and a 1925 Peerless and inquired of a couple of Woodworking shops I spotted in Hemmings.

Now anything CAN be done but they indicated the Woody would need shipped there ($2000 probably) and I doubt they would start in for less then a $10,000 deposit.

When the wood is entirely gone, how does one truly wrap themselves around HOW to do it? Luckily Bill Stoneberg and others would have Woodies to take photos of etc and basically all 49-53 Woodies are the same BUT what I would need is a "kit" of the several individual pieces that would make up the wood part. Plus do this -do that instructions. Then I think I could do an amateur restoration level of work on it.

But if nothing is there and every other car you look at is done then my mind can't figure out how to get from one point to the next, is all.

I think the shops quoted me $5,000 for body wood (25 Peerless) and no quote on the 50 Roadmaster.

Have you ever looked closely at the rear corner post of a woody wagon? There are about 4 different 90-degree cuts that have to be made in the part that faces the interior of the car, and then you have to cut grooves and sections for the tailgate hardware that has to fit into it, and cut areas where the adjacent wood pieces have to fit. It would be a nightmare without an old one to go by. If any of the tailgate hardware is missing, or the slightly curved upper tail gate glass is gone, good luck in finding replacements.

I checked the map, and this particular wagon is down near Houston, so too far for an afternoon trip to go see it, for me.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

1949 Super Estate Wagon

and other Buicks...

what I would need is a "kit" of the several individual pieces that would make up the wood part. Plus do this -do that instructions. Then I think I could do an amateur restoration level of work on it.

You raise an interesting point.

When I was restoring my 34 Roadster I considered having a second wood kit made. It would have been cheaper to have duplicates of all the frame made at that time and could have been on sold to someone in need to defray restoration costs. At the end of the day I didn't, but mainly because of the low production numbers of the 34 Roadster and it being unlikely another will surface to be restored. What I have done is carefully store the original timber in case there is a future need.

So here is the point! Over the years I have seen many 50, 51 and 52 Buick woodies, both Super and Roadmaster advertised. If they have sound wood the prices are out of reach, well for me anyway. In many instances such as this, when the wood is gone the vehicles can be purchased very reasonably.

It would seem if someone had a few off the shelf wood kits there would be a lot more woodies being restored. Even if it were only the rear quarter post as described by Pete - difficult to make in the home workshop but if available along with a set of plans for the rest - maybe an opportunity.

At one time I knew where there were 6 49-52 Buick project woodies like this, one may now be sold - but that was just a casual look-search. They pop up on ebay frequently.

We are currently reproducing ALL the wood for several '46-'48 Buick Estate Wagons. Let me tell you, 'taint easy! Post '48s are considerably less complicated but still challenging, even for an experienced woodworker. Nearly impossible without good patterns and a tracing router.

The wood work prevents me from offering on the 1950 Roadmaster Woodie located in Iowa. It is one of 420, as Pete notes in the latest Bugle (Julie and Julia car)

I believe I could get this rare car for $1000.00 as I spent a good deal of time with the owner that day I visited (photos are on this forum)

It was a complete, dismantled car that originally had the old rotted wood present. Now, it has sat an additional 20 years and the wood is mostly gone, the rare hardware is ? The front clip is removed, 20 + years of changing weather to the floors, engine.

But still, these 50 Roadmaster Estate Wagon projects don't grow on trees and this one will likely never be restored. It is just so hard for restorers to wrap their heads around this sort of work and cost.