Model U Spark plug wires

Guest fordv840

Guest fordv840

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone could recomment a source for OEM looking spark plug wires? Also do I have to buy the wire and terminals and make them myself or does someone make a set premade? Either way is ok just curious. One last question, what was the original color? I am assuming they were laquer covered cloth? I have seen them for sale at a few different places but want to make sure I get the closest to OEM I can.

Thanks,

J

By 1933 they were using black cloth covered spark plug wires. Not sure if they were colored or not for 1930.

You can get cloth covered spark plug wire from all of the old car wiring vendors. Not sure about a kit. I bought a reel of wire years ago and simply buy the end pieces at my local auto supply store. While you can crimp the ends on with a regular set of pliers I broke down and bought the tool that is designed for it which does a bit better job.

See Plymouth Replacement Parts for the cross reference information I know about ignition system electrical parts.

Guest fordv840
By 1933 they were using black cloth covered spark plug wires. Not sure if they were colored or not for 1930.

You can get cloth covered spark plug wire from all of the old car wiring vendors. Not sure about a kit. I bought a reel of wire years ago and simply buy the end pieces at my local auto supply store. While you can crimp the ends on with a regular set of pliers I broke down and bought the tool that is designed for it which does a bit better job.

See Plymouth Replacement Parts for the cross reference information I know about ignition system electrical parts.

Thanks Ply33

I pretty much figured that was the way it was going to be but thought I would ask. I have used your site quite a bit and it is an excellent resource. Thanks for all the effort!

Guest martylum

Hi-When I restored my 30 Desoto 6 I used black lacquered cloth plug wires and think I bought the wires from Rhode Island Wiring. the car has been an AACA Senior car for some years and I don't think i lost any penalty on the plug wires.

The owner's Manual shows an engine with plug wires attached but it's pretty hard to tell what finish is on the wires and it is a drawing rather than a photo.

I think you'l need to cut the wires to the proper length and install the ends.

The drawing of the engine shows the plug wires connecting with the plugs with straight rather than 90 degree connectors. This is Desoto so you'd better check your Plymouth owners manual.

I have a Chrysler factory photo of a 29 Desoto chassis with powertrain installed but there are no plug wires installed and no spark plug tube installed on the engine.

Martin Lum

Just received a catalog in the mail from The Brillman Company in Mount Jackson, VA. Phone 1 888 BRILLMAN (274 - 5562). They have semi tailored 4 cylinder sets for $21.00, coils - $27.50, points - $14.00 and rotors - $11.00 for four cylinder - so hope that helps out! (June 2009 Catalog.)