Hello, Q's New to Forum

Guest L2BReatta

Guest L2BReatta

Posted in other areas ,not sure where I should post, sorry if I'm out of place. I am new here but I was wondering why such fluctuating price on these Reatta's? I am looking at buying one that has 130,000 it is an 88 Burgandy/Burgandy looks in good cond. It has a sunroof. Its Digital works, has low fluid for air cond. I sat in this car and drove it and I love the feel of it, but what is the fair market price for an 88? Does anyone know if there is a good mechanic in the Indiana area just in case it needs anything? I am looking at purchasing it this week but would like more info on reasonable price?I would apreciate it if anyone could give me a rough idea ? Thank-you<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Guest L2BReatta

It doesnt show any signs of leaks and it does work. I am really excited to become a reatta owner! Just wasn't sure of what to pay for it, Thanks for your response!

you should be able to buy a nice 130,000 mile car for $3,000-$4,000.

Go to Reatta Data Page and read about the brakes. Do the brake test on the car.

Even if you feel uncertain about the brakes condition, $200-$300 will usually fix them if you do the simple work yourself.

Indiana is a big state, I will be there for a wedding in early May

Guest L2BReatta

Thanks for all your input. I am close to Indy. I have been checking out all your beautiful cars on here and love them! I havent yet decided on this paticular one but it is very pretty, kinda dark cherry in color. Brakes felt good when I took it out but will take out again before purchase. I definately will need the air to work as I am new to the Indiana summer! Hope to make friends here as a owner soon!

AC can get expensive. I converted mine to R134A. If I had the compressor done in a shop along with an Orofice tube and drier, it would have run me over $1,000. Get the problem checked out and don't accept the often stated,"It just needs a recharge". Also you do need to do the aforementioned Brake Test at Reatta Data Page. The ABS system on these cars was one of the first and parts and knowledgable repair people are scarce. Without doing the test you are playing russian roulette with 4 in the chamber.

That said, these are great cars for the money but you need to educate yourself to keep from making a mistake.

Guest Richard D
make sure the sunroof works.id say it should be worth between 2000 and 3000 dollars.the reattas never caught on as collecter cars.

Reattas may have not yet caught on as collector cars, but now that GM "A" body rolling shells are selling for $5 to 7K and daily driver Camaros are $12K and up I think Reatta's are a bargin. You may never make a dime owning one but they are great cars that do not look like all the "jelly bean" cars that looked the same. Was that a Buick or an Oldsmobile, no I think it was a Ford Taurus. Try pricing a Dodge Duster with rusted out quarter panels and see what $3K will buy you. You can't even buy a nice driver Gremlin for less than $5K. I know, nice driver Gremlin is an oxymoron. But it is true.:D

Guest steveskyhawk

I agree with Richard. Rustbuckets will never bring much money but nice Reattas are beginning to pop up and bring good money if properly prepared for sale and marketed. Bear in mind that we are in a DEPRESSION. Nobody likes to use the word but it is true. When the economy recovers from the beating it took the last 9 years I believe it will not be uncommon for the nice low milage cars to bring MSRP.

Reattas are not collectibles....yet.

That said the best to have are an 88 coupe and a 91 convertible. First and last. I also suspect that the digital dash with touchscream will ultimately put it over the top as a landmark car.

It is really a great time to buy, they still show up on used car lots and as trade-ins which keeps the market value low and parts are easy to find. (Some, like the windscreen are ex$pen$ive, but are available and the suspension/powertrain is in millions of other cars).

Like most things, condition is everything. Avoid rust wherever possible, that is the hardest fix of all.

Guest L2BReatta

Thanks to all for good advise. I can now atleast make a better decission on what I have to look for, I have alway's loved older cars (Buicks prefer)better than the new everyone has now. Quality has been going down in everything, but price just seems to climb higher! I will let you all know if I purchase this one, If not this one another! Gotta have one now!

Be prepared to spend money on this vehicle no matter what condition it is at the time of purchase. Remember, you're looking at a car over 20 years in age. Even the best stay the best because their owners are willing to spend the time and money to keep them that way. I've owned Reatta's from well over 100k - 40k in mileage. Had to spend money, sometimes substantial, on all of them. Even the low mileage vehicles. If you are willing to be patient the most attractive vehicles, in my opinion, are the low mileage cars that have been well kept by their owners. Usually, not quite as much out of pocket expense in the initial months but again, money will be spent in the coming mos. These vehicles are usually the most expensive because of the care they've received. It is a buyers market right now and even these well kept vehicles can be purchased at a decent price. Good luck in your quest and be sure to use this forum for it's wealth of info after your purchase. Good people are here and are more than willing to share their knowledge and experiences.

Mike

'91 Coupe

Figure that one way or another you will spend about $5k-$6k on a coupe in the first year in purchase plus initial maintenance. It is always best to go for the nicest low milage one you can find preferably with 16-way seats and sunroof.

Most common problems: a/c and ABS. I'd knock $1k off the price if either is not working. Neither is difficult, just expensive to replace.

For me, any rust that is more than surface (removes with wire brush or sandpaper) would be grounds for disqualification since rust-free examples are around.

Like most things, you can trade time and effort for money but it helps to have a well equipped (almost everything on the Reatta is metric) workshop and are comfortable around electronics.

The drivetrain/suspension is just standard GM, almost any shop can handle but all of the electronics is not for the average shop. The good news is that a comprehensive suite of diagnostics are built in, you do not need a seperate scan tool.

Any time you have a car like this it is best to have a spare so you can just not drive while waiting for a part and a garage to work in. Not necessary, just nice.

Be aware that a Reatta is not just transportation, it is also a hobby, a learning experience, and a lifestyle. Be ready for all.

When buying any used car that is more than a few years old, it is a good rule of thumb to reserve about 10% of what the car cost *new* to fix up all the stuff the PO ignored/broke, and age related problems. More if body work/paint is involved. And even low mileage cars can have their problems...

Guest L2BReatta

Just wanted to thank all you who gave me great advise about buying my new 2 me 88 Burg/Burg coupe 133,000 mi.,with the sunroof, and the 16 way seat. I believe I got a real good deal for $2900. It is not quite perfect, but it is perfect for me! I must say I am fully ready for"Reatta is not just transportation, it is also a hobby, a learning experience, and a lifestyle. I know from reading on this forum I will also be a member of the BCA and the Reatta Division shortly! Now ,how to change my name on here, as I am no longer L2B(looking to buy) but will be looking for more to learn on here! Thank-you all again!

Just wanted to thank all you who gave me great advise about buying my new 2 me 88 Burg/Burg coupe 133,000 mi.,with the sunroof, and the 16 way seat. I believe I got a real good deal for $2900. It is not quite perfect, but it is perfect for me! I must say I am fully ready for"Reatta is not just transportation, it is also a hobby, a learning experience, and a lifestyle. I know from reading on this forum I will also be a member of the BCA and the Reatta Division shortly! Now ,how to change my name on here, as I am no longer L2B(looking to buy) but will be looking for more to learn on here! Thank-you all again!

When you join the BCA and Reatta Division make sure you try to make the National Meet in Ames Iowa. It is not that far from Indiana. We are hoping to have a bunch of Reattas at the National.

Chuck Kerls