what is your car's name and why

Guest ewing

Hi All.....

My wife Cathy likes to name our cars. Some are not very original like "purple" or "ole blue" but I think she hit a home run with "Dallas Dolly" our latest car.

It's a 1908 Buick Model 10, never been out of the Dallas Texas area until we brought her to Pennsylvania.

Frank

First I had the Riviera, then it was the Riviera and the Buick, then The Riviera, The Buick, and the Jaguar, then is was The Riviera, The Buick, the Jaguar, and the Little Convertible, phew! NOW it's The Red Riviera, The Brown Riviera, The Buick, The Jaguar, and the Little Convertible.

Mostly The Wife follows me three paces behind and I just point and grunt.

'95 Roadmaster estate wagon -- Zipcode (speaks for itself)

'95 Chevy Caprice classic sedan -- The Chicken Car (it's maiden voyage was to go pick up fried chicken for christmas dinner - it promptly broke down on said voyage, and still has the smell of chicken inside)

'89 Buick Reatta coupe -- Lucy (no idea why, I just like the name, and she seemed sad without one)

'89 Dodge Dakota convertible -- The trooper (work truck, biting the heals of 300k)

'05 Mazda Tribute -- Suvee Action Jeep

'63 Studebaker Avanti R-2 supercharged -- The Beast (also speaks for itself)

'96 Chevy Impala -- Impy

'89 Buick Reatta -- Smelly (it was a ratty black car -sold- it smelled funny when you got in it after it had been sitting in the sun. Which it did all the time.)

Oh and the GPS is named Gertie... She's not very nice..

When we were kids, we named our 1965 Sportwagon the Green Beast or Beast for short. We named the '71 LeSabre the Turq because of the twilight Turquoise color. When we got another '71 LeSabre with full power equipment we named that one the Boat. When you have practically matching 1971 LeSabre Custom 4 door hardtops in the garage at the same time, you'd better have nicknames for them! Other cars for some reason didn't have the kind of character that deserved any names. We did name a '75 Olds NinetyEight the Pale Whale but that was kind of a half-hearted effort. I'm also calling my brother's '52 Pontiac Chieftain Super Deluxe Catalina 2 dr hardtop the Chief, but it han't caught on well with him.

When I got married we renamed my wife's '86 Chevy Cavalier the Cadavalier, for obvious reasons (it threw a rod) and eventually we named an '86 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon Queenie. Right now we have practically matching 2002 and 2003 Chevy Venture minivans who we've named Thing 1 and Thing 2, and each has a Dr Seuss doll sitting in the corner of the dashboard.

I could use a little help naming my 1972 Buick Centurion formal coupe. I'd prefer a male name, and something with a roman centurion flavor if at all possible. It kind of needs a strong, short male name and the ones I've come up with so far all sound stupid. Nothing has stuck so far, and I've taken to calling it "Mr. C" for now.

Edited by Redrob (see edit history)

Right now we have practically matching 2002 and 2003 Chevy Venture minivans who we've named Thing 1 and Thing 2, and each has a Dr Seuss doll sitting in the corner of the dashboard.

Love it...well, except for the minivan thing...we had a couple of Montanas...'99 and 2002 if I recall...those days are over.

Spinnus Wheelicus?

Smokus?

Spartacus?

Chariot?

Legion?

Gladiator?

Brain not working well...maybe I'll get a chance to think about this a bit more while on the tractor....

Guest greg walsh

When we got married I had a 65 black Cadillac sedan with a black and white leather interior that my wife named Shamu after the killer whale at sea world.

I have never named my cars - seems kind of dumb to me but my wife's parents had a yellow and brown 72 Torino they named "Tweety Bird"; the '71 LeSabre that I have was my uncle's and he always called it "Harriet". I have no idea why. I call it the Buick, but my wife always refers to it as "Harold's car" even though I've owned it for 10 years now.

Mine, too; The Buick

Guest 75RivGS

Although every Buick here has it's own name (Whale (75RivGS), Behemoth (Estate Wagon), Carmen (ooh well, you figured that already I assume) and Das Boot (German: 'the boat') (73Riv) lately their nicks are just the model year: 71/72/73/75.

The Cat however keeps her name: Miss Myrtle (after first owner ms. Myrtle R. P*** from Lumberton, NC)

Edited by 75RivGS (see edit history)

Guest sconnors

I'm a HUGE blues fan and when I first registered my 1950 Buick Special the first three letters in the plate were ETA. My buddy said, 'hey look ETA just like ETTA JAMES! So ever since then, even though I have vanity plates on her now, she's known as ETTA!