Interesting Quote

Jim65Riv

Guest ahhh65riv

Yeah, Buick had several concept cars (names) on the board for production: Velite, Bengal, Roadmaster, and Wildcat but the Riviera never made it. However I did like the looks of the new Regal to the line-up. I got a chance to see one in Toronto a couple weeks ago at the International Autotrader show. (I'ts actually a re-badge of the european Opel Insignia). The Buick representative on the floor told me it will actually share the same production line as the new Camero.

This link is for the Regal:

2011 Regal | Luxury Sport Sedan | Regal GS Concept | Buick

These are concept photos:

Erik

post-61139-143138181774_thumb.jpg

post-61139-143138181775_thumb.jpg

post-61139-143138181777_thumb.jpg

post-61139-143138181779_thumb.jpg

post-61139-143138181781_thumb.jpg

post-61139-143138181783_thumb.jpg

post-61139-143138181785_thumb.jpg

Ed,

Absolutely! The market determines the name of the vehicle. In "how not to market 101" the example of the Chevy Nova is the case study. Wonderful small, economical, reliable car, very successful in the US market. GM moved it south of the border and kept the name, sales were terrible! Nova in Spanish translates out to "won't go!"

Coupes all but disappeared from GM show floors and are just now making their way back. CTS coupe will be available later this year, that platform would make an awesome starting point for a new Riviera.

Tim

CTS coupe will be available later this year, that platform would make an awesome starting point for a new Riviera.

Tim

Amen Tim. My local Buick dealer contact said he is hearing rumors of a Buick coupe making it back into production within the next few years. Could be something along the lines of the Velite concept - or maybe even a Riviera. We'll have to just wait and see. The CTS coupe is definitely a step in the right direction in my opinion...

Linda and I went to the Kansas City Auto show last Sunday. This new Regal was on display there. However it wasn't one of the cars you could sit in and give a close look to; it was on an elevated revolving platform. It looked good from where we were, but we couldn't get closer than five or six feet to it. It also had either a black or dark charcoal interior that you couldn't see well because of the lighting. If it follows the lead of the LuCerne and LaCross, it should be a nice car.

Has anyone heard any pros or cons about Europe's Opel Insignia?

Maybe that leaves the Chinese two door as a possible replacement for the Riviera?

Ed