Roger's handcrafted 1:12 scale models

Don, thanks for your comments! Hopefuly, your cold is now gone. Good luck with your Alfa engine!

Ah! The scale models...Recently, I bought a 1:24 1932 Cadillac V-16 dual cowl phaeton. I did know that the back is irrelevant, but I had problems with the front. Even if some details are skipped, some dimensions are rather accurate. And, having front fenders in 3 dimensions will facilitate the day I will begin them. In between, I did some progress on the hood:

When I began the hood’s sides with the ventilation doors, I expected that that idea would come to a good end. I got some thinking how to do the anchor point for the spring and, when I’m unsure about something, I’m delaying and delaying (somebody in your country is champion for that) until I’m packing the thing and do it. Fortunately, it went rather well. Then, I soldered the hinge I had with the various holes to a door and inserted the assembly, together with the female hinge. I shortened a bit the spring I did before and tried…I had to do a deeper notch at the frame because it interfered with the spring’s end.

The function is as I expected; the sole critic I could do is that the aperture could be more generous. For that I should redo all 14 male hinges; as the overheating from the model is questionable, I will let the things like they are.

Now, I can continue with the 13 other ventilation doors …

615 back side, door closed.JPG

616 back side, door open.JPG

617 exterior side, door open.JPG

• Like 10

Let me understand something. The doors on the original cars just opened and closed with a spring alone, right? The delicate 'fins' on the doors don't operate a latch or something, but serve as classy handles to pull on. Is that correct?

I was wondering about those large, flat surfaces warping, Roger. I guess you do too, and you have taken measures to avoid that if possible, rather than repair- sensible. Like I believe you always are. Thanks, as always.

That's correct. They look good, and are used to open each door individually. So, you can have only half open or the number you feel is needed. To close them, just push on the door. There is no axle, the doors are staying in place just with the push of the spring. If a spring should break, you would have probably to search for another one!

When I did the holes on that flat pieces, everything was under control. When I soft soldered the flanges, it was a nightmare! I could correct more or less the diformations; some bondo will be needed!

So you can see that I have sometimes unexpected difficulties...like most humans!

• Like 4