Roger Zimmermann

Construction of a Continental Mark II model, scale 1:12

Wow, just WOW!!!  It already looked amazing but somehow when it is put together it looks EVEN BETTER.

Roger....if you don't mind my asking, what are you going to use for the rubber weatherstrip around the trunk lid?

John

On 8/7/2018 at 2:54 AM, Roger Zimmermann said:

Finally, I could store all the wires into the LH door and close it with the trim. Another problem was noticed: when the upper molding was installed, I could not open the vent window on both doors! This is the result of the too low roof at the “A” pillar and the lowering of the vent window frame to prevent the interference with the roof. Fortunately, I could also lower the inner moldings just enough to insure a vent window function.

Yesterday was a good day: after pushing away for several days the mating of the body to the frame, I bite the bullet yesterday. Not without issues: I removed the body four times from the frame! The third time, most screws attaching the body to the frame were installed, the rear bumper too, when I noticed that one screw at the “B” pillar could not go in. I began to bore by hand the floor’s hole with tiny drills till one broke, the remaining bit stuck into the hole. The reason of the clogged hole: I used instant glue to attach a wire to the floor and apparently, some glue went into the hole. Of course I did not check every hole prior the assembly, a major mistake.

After the 4th time, no issue was found and the body is sitting definitively on the frame.

Now, I can continue with the rear seat/trim assembly, the heater hoses, and so on.

1003 body on frame.JPG

1004 body on frame.JPG

1005 body on frame.JPG

1006 body on frame.JPG

1007 body on frame.JPG

1008 body on frame.JPG

I would have thought these were photos of an actual MKII in the process of restoration had I not known it was only 1:12 scale.

Really amazing work Roger.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Roger....if you don't mind my asking, what are you going to use for the rubber weatherstrip around the trunk lid?

John

Most probably nothing. The weatherstrip is, on the original car, glued on the trunk lid itself, a surface which is hardly seen when the trunk is open. On all my models I have no rubber seal at the doors and trunk. If I think that I should do something, I will use a strip of black tape.

The distance between lid and gutter is inconsistent; this is the reason why I'm usually skipping this aspect.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Barry Wolk said:

Roger, you continue to astound. 

Will your car have set belts? ;)

Thanks Barry to show that model to people who are not visiting the forums I'm showing it.

Seat belts? What an horror for that period of time! Of course they can save lives, but my model is static, no seat belt is needed. And less parts to do...

• Like 3

Roger,

Seat belts?  They did not even come onto the scene till the sixties.  And then they were an afterthought.  For years we were riding around in our cars unfettered (and un strapped), sliding across the seat to see something that one of our siblings saw on their side of the car.  Of course, we had to see it too.  My little sister use to stand up between my mom and dad in the front seat.  Oh the horrors of un checked safety (or lack of it) back in the 50's.  

I swear, if I had the picture of the Mark II blown up, one could swear that that was a full sized automobile.  Your attention to every little detail just amazes me.  It is so accurate in every sense (that we can see).  How you got the body bucks so accurate is mind boggling.  Now we know why it has taken so much time.  Looking at the end results is why.  Perfection.  

It is beautiful, Roger.  Each installment that you do is what we look forward to.

Randy

• Like 1

Thanks Randy!

The arm rests were first installed and the wires from the switches soldered at the proper location. I also soldered on a temporary basis the wires coming from the door to be sure about the function. There were some glitches but everything came right. The installation from the seat back was rather difficult, probably because not all elements covered with leather were tried first. Technically, the rear compartment is finished. The seat bottom will be installed (indeed, it will be just pushed in place) when the carpet will be installed.

Then I installed the hoses for both heater and the remaining vacuum hoses.

It was the right time to do the radiator hoses. By searching in my available material, I found a rubber tube which outside diameter is near from what I wanted; I remember I bought that piece of rubber just in case; sometimes I’m lucky! On the real car, the upper hose has slightly smaller outside diameter than the bottom one, but nobody will notice that my hoses have the same dimension! To have a good look, I did also clamps, not the tower style but something I can manage. I slipped into the tubes a suitable brass rod to help the hoses to keep the intended shape, especially the lower one with its 90° angle. The radiator is now installed, I hope that I will not have to remove it again, but you never know!

1009 rear compartment.JPG

1010 with radiator.JPG

• Like 7

O.K., Roger....I just MUST ask. Aside from the electric motors and wiring for them, are there ANY parts on the model that have NOT been altered in any way or fabricated?

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

This car is absolutely amazing. Your talent and craftsmanship and attention to detail is second to none. Absolutely brilliant.

As usual, I appreciate your comments. However, I'm not sure about the question from John. I did not do myself the electric motors and wiring, nor the various bolts and screws but all the other parts are made in my small workshop.

Roger, i am in awe of your work. It is great seeing the Lincoln coming together. You are one talented fellow!!!!!

7 hours ago, Roger Zimmermann said:

As usual, I appreciate your comments. However, I'm not sure about the question from John. I did not do myself the electric motors and wiring, nor the various bolts and screws but all the other parts are made in my small workshop.

You understood and answered in a way that I understand. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

Roger, I was showing this thread to a friend yesterday and I really wish you could have witnessed the amazement they expressed.  We're used to your incredible work as you keep just doing one jaw dropping task after another for 8 years!  To see someone who isn't used to that try and take in the near finished product all at once was a real treat.  After their initial shock wore off I explained that you started the project by *making* the tires and then took them back to page 1.  It was really fun to watch them try and wrap their brain around the fact that each part was hand made.  Wish you could have been here to see it!!!

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff for this story!  99% of the people on earth have difficulties to understand that one person can build such a thing part by part and stick on it for so many years….

• Like 1

Logically, at this point, the trunk trim must be addressed. As with my two previous models, the carpet will be made with velvet because it’s the best material in my opinion, especially for a cut pile carpet. Unfortunately for me, the Mark II has a loop style carpet. Trying to find that would be difficult…Even for the velvet, the color I wanted was difficult to find. I went to many stores; the available colors were not suitable for the model. The last store had more choice: 2! One was too green (could have been fine for the Avanti); I took the dark blue velvet. It’s almost black, but it’s not! A lighter tone would have been welcome…

The velvet has 2 disadvantages: it’s a very thick material for that scale and it frays very easily.

By looking at various pictures from real cars, the trunk trim is made of several trim pieces; each one has a border sewn to the base material. How to replicate that? I tried with a piece of leather which was not very convincing. As a scale model is an illusion, I opted for a “U” profile made with 0.1mm painted brass. Of course, I used the blue paint from the seats inserts.

The next job to finish the trunk compartment is to fit the spare wheel. I have here 2 issues: my tires have a too large diameter, about 2mm and/or the well is not deep enough: the result is that I cannot close the trunk lid when the spare tire is in the trunk! I will try to reduce the diameter on the lathe, giving the impression that the spare tire is well worn and, if necessary, remove material to compensate for the not deep enough well. Then a tire’s cover will have to be made with leather.

1011 trunk trim.JPG

• Like 6

For once, the update is coming the same day! I could not cut the tire but sand it on the lathe. With one mm less in diameter, it was like I did nothing. The tire was too much upright; I had to do some heavy surgeon at the back and down. It’s no wonder: the original tire was either 8.00 x 15 or 8.20 x 15. When I measure the width of my tires, they are more or less like 8.80 x 15 (a dimension which does not exist, it’s just for comparison). Now, as you can see, the tire fits the allowed space and I can close the lid!

Even if I don’t need it, I will do the attaching fixture for the wheel and the cover.

1012 With spare wheel.JPG

1013 Closed lid.JPG

• Like 4

I'm not joking here: I glanced at the first photo (of the trunk internal view) and thought this was a photo of a life-size car you were using for reference. Just amazing, Roger. Thank you for the updates.

• Thanks 1

With the spare wheel securely attached to the body, I did the spare wheel cover with leather. The fit is not as good as on the real car because I cannot include a zipper at the back! Anyway, the cover is not too bad looking and can be removed just in case, as well as the spare wheel.

1014 spare wheel cover.JPG

1015 spare wheel cover.JPG

• Like 4