Roger Zimmermann

Construction of a Continental Mark II model, scale 1:12

I totally agree that the car looks amazing, illusion accomplished for sure.  Regarding the Canon camera, it may have a close-up setting that will make a major difference when taking near object pictures, my Canon G10 has that feature and makes a big difference, just a thought. Scott... 

Hi Roger,

I have been going through your photos and work, was just looking at them rather than commenting.

But I feel pressurized to comment after seeing all the hard work and passion you put into this model.

It looks very realistic and even a company employee will not be able to assemble the car as you are doing.

Don't you worry about the logo and the small correction as it will be judged on that only by you, nobody else.

Its an inspiration for me every time to go back to my bench after see your work and improve my standards of work.

Thanks a lot Roger!

Dileep

5 hours ago, Scotts_DG8 said:

Regarding the Canon camera, it may have a close-up setting that will make a major difference when taking near object pictures, my Canon G10 has that feature and makes a big difference, just a thought. Scott... 

Thanks to all for the positive comments!

Well, I have to look for that, but obviously, I know how to make models better than how to use a camera! By the way, the Canon is a EOS 750 if this tell you something. The pocket one is a Sony...

Roger the Canon is a good camera, but being more sophisticated means that it needs to be set correctly or have the correct lens suited  to individual circumstances. You should have the "mode dial" on top of the body set to the "flower" symbol and you need to make sure you aren't to close for the lens you have on the camera, if you are to close to the object (the car in your case) it will not allow you to focus correctly.

I agree with you. I will definitively have to learn how to use it; I have the "flower" setting but stay on "standard" which is obviously not a good idea. For the moment, I will still do my pictures with the pocket camera. Almost no setting and usually the quality of the pictures is good!

The RH door is now completed. I had to push forwards the arm rest assembly because it was touching the wind lace at the B pillar. The upper inner molding was also touching the corresponding molding from the rear quarter; it had to move it almost ½ mm. Fortunately, this molding is no more screwed on the inner structure but pushed down on the panel, so to relocate it was not a problem. Maybe it will now interfere with the dashboard when this later is installed…Fortunately, there is a plan B in case!

You may notice that the door's post has a chromed plate. I hope that I will not have to remove the lock; for that I must destroy that plate: it's cemented on the door and done with a 0.1mm thick brass. I suppose it will not survive the separation from the door.

I’m going to finish the LH door which will be a challenge with all those wires.

1002 completed door.JPG

Edited by Roger Zimmermann (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I can't wait till you fire that engine up and drive that car out of the restoration shop!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Roger, let me join with all the others to tell you how much these updates tell of your skill. I've been away from the 'puter for a while, so I got a bigger shot of 'news' here than usual. All the words of praise fall short. All the expectations are met and then some. The finished model will represent one of the finest models ever created,  certainly the best 'article' on construction, and a testament to the master workman that produced both. Thanks for this.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments!

It is somewhat quiet now because I'm pushing away a major event: the installation of the body on the frame. I'm not sure if it's the right moment (I means maybe other things must be done before that, but I don't see any) because due to the complexity, I will not take the body away from the frame once more.

• Like 1

Roger,

The moment has arrived.  Mating the chassis to the body is monumental as all the small fittings, linkages, wires and cables are to be connected.  I just hope that it goes smoothly as all your previous work has been met with adjustments, modifications, eliminations, etc., etc.  

We have been watching you bring this amazing model along and it is something that we all look forward to every time we log on to the site.  All the progress is culminating to this point.  Where the model becomes one element.  

It is a beautiful model.  Great work Roger.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Roger Zimmermann said:

Thanks Randy!

Indeed, the moment arrived today, August 6, 2018. Report and pictures soon!

Woot!!! Can't wait to see.

• Like 1

Finally, I could store all the wires into the LH door and close it with the trim. Another problem was noticed: when the upper molding was installed, I could not open the vent window on both doors! This is the result of the too low roof at the “A” pillar and the lowering of the vent window frame to prevent the interference with the roof. Fortunately, I could also lower the inner moldings just enough to insure a vent window function.

Yesterday was a good day: after pushing away for several days the mating of the body to the frame, I bite the bullet yesterday. Not without issues: I removed the body four times from the frame! The third time, most screws attaching the body to the frame were installed, the rear bumper too, when I noticed that one screw at the “B” pillar could not go in. I began to bore by hand the floor’s hole with tiny drills till one broke, the remaining bit stuck into the hole. The reason of the clogged hole: I used instant glue to attach a wire to the floor and apparently, some glue went into the hole. Of course I did not check every hole prior the assembly, a major mistake.

After the 4th time, no issue was found and the body is sitting definitively on the frame.

Now, I can continue with the rear seat/trim assembly, the heater hoses, and so on.

1003 body on frame.JPG

1004 body on frame.JPG

1005 body on frame.JPG

1006 body on frame.JPG

1007 body on frame.JPG

1008 body on frame.JPG

• Like 10

Sure, but there are still many questions...Anyway, the number of parts is diminishing on a regular basis; for the moment I have no part I don't know where it should go, which is a good point!

• Like 3

Thanks Frank!

A quick note: I could connect the hand brake cable to the lever. The bad news: the hand brake is functioning only marginally: with the lever fully pulled, there is some friction at the drums but not a real braking effect. I should ajust the cable (it's possible) but as the adjusting nut is above the central member from the frame, no way to do it. On the real car, there is a door at the tunnel; even with that door at the model , the chance is slim to be able to turn the nut.

Another detail: the model as it's now has a weight of 2'189 grams; 910 for the front axle and 1270 at the rear axle. More weight is coming at the front: fenders, hood, grille and bumper for the heavy parts. The doors are not yet on; they are 130 grams each, the weight will be more or less equally distributed front and rear.

The model will be around 3 kg.

Edited by Roger Zimmermann (see edit history)

Mr. Z, this amazing story of yours is still one of the 1st places I go to each morning, and when you post something there has never been disappointment.  When you are finished with this project, I think I will just fold up the laptop and quit looking, ha !. You are truly one of the best sir, and an inspiration to all of us that thought we could "do stuff" with our hands.  The car is gorgeous, and I still can't imagine the detail you have went to even though I've been watching from the 1st. Thank you !!!!!!

It's really hard to tell if it's a model or a real car with that grey background.  I think it's a real car and Roger has us all fooled again.  Just incredible Roger.

I don't know what else to say, as the others have said it all before me. But I must try! This is truly an amazing work, and as a previous poster commented, it looks like a full size Continental sitting there.

I must also say that only thanks to the internet, and this forum are so many of us able to see this amazing creation unfold before us, over a period years, if one has been following your progress in step with you, otherwise one can read through the entire thread.

Keith

I knew there had to be a major update, my email was blowing up! 

What an amazing display of engineering and artistic capability, Roger, this model is simply jaw-dropping!