Roger's handcrafted 1:12 scale models

Roger,

Ahhh.  At last you are finding a use for the jeweler's saw !   I am glat to know that my little bit will help in the construction of the model.  This tail lamp assembly looks to be one of the most complicated part on the model.  Not only does it swing out for the access to the gas fill, but it has to house all the intricate parts to make it work.  I would be "BALD" worrying about how I would attack this challenge.  But I see that you have a full head of hair so for you nothing is impossible.  :-)

A lot has been going on since we last talked. I had a delay working on my Fiat restoration.

My old 60 Ford P.U. was sitting in a field at a friends house, decaying with neglect.  A friend clued me in on how much the early pick ups were gaining in value here in the car markets.  Seems that young guys like to get them and restore or modify them as they are free from the dreaded Smog laws.  They can drop in most any kind of engine and do all the "trick" parts and modifications to these earlier classics without the heavy handed government getting involved. Before my truck decayed any further, I segued from the Fiat and am addressing it right now.  I towed it down to my warehouse and am cleaning it up.

A few years ago, these trucks were a dime a dozen.  BUT with the "Cash for Clunkers" program brought on by the government, a lot of earlier cars have disappeared.  A lot of accessible car parts also disappeared too.  It is not so easy to find decent parts for restoration as it once was.  And when you do find them, they are pricey.  Good thing I raided a junk yard a decade ago to get some parts for this truck.  I will not restore it to a show condition truck, but quite the opposite.  Guys here are restoring the mechanicals and leaving the exterior as they find them.  I've seen them in rusty finish that have been clear coated over to halt the oxidation but otherwise left in the natural state of things.  They call it

"Rust O Rod" or some such description.  I can always restore this truck to perfection, but that is down the road.  Right now, the FIAT is on the "front burner" so to speak. 

Mechanically, my truck is in excellent condition and runs like a top.  I just finished re doing all the brake system, rebuilt the carb and sorted out the electrical problem with one of the head lights.  All is well.  I will re cover the front seat , but other than that, I will drive it much as it is.  I will send you pics of this fine example of when automotive technology was simple and EASY to work on.

At night, while watching my evening TV programs, I am finishing my model of a 17' wooden runabout.  I am at a very difficult juncture.  Bringing the planking up to the bow requires compound curves and a small mistake will "show"  the error very clearly.  I am a member of the San Diego Ship Modelers Guild (just joined) and will enlist  their expertise in this problem.  Again, pictures to follow.

Back to the Continental.  You fool so many people when they see your model.  If it were in a diorama, they would swear that the model is the real thing.  That is because you have attended to the most minute detail.  This give the model the most convincing aspect to the naked eye.  It is so real that only you can know what is altered to get it to the 1:12 scale.  Obviously, there are a lot of items that have to be altered to scale down to what you are mastering here, but honestly, Roger, We all are in so much awe and wonder at what you have accomplished.  

None of us can go a week without checking back in to see what you have done next.  It was so startling to see the body with the coat of primer vs. the  raw brass.  That jumped right off of the screen ! ! !  That one step took it to the next level.  We are now tantalized with the day that it will have its final finish.  We all look forward to your "magic".

I hope that your summer is progressing nicely and that you have a chance to drive you beautiful cars now that the weather is nice.  

Are any of your 1:1 cars in a museum or do you keep them all at hand to drive on occasion?  

We await the next step in the Continentals development.

Randy 

Thanks for your comments, Randy!

Once the tail lamps bezels were completed (well, some finishing touches must be added), the next logical step is to make the tail and back-up  lenses. "Glasses" like the headlights or front indicator lenses are not too complicated to realize as they are almost flat. At the rear it's another matter. I began a male pattern for the back-up lenses by stacking 12 pieces of .3 mm thick brass and shaping the form by taking in account the thickness of the Plexiglas. Then, I filed the edge from each element hoping that the hot Plexiglas will get the lines more or less like the original lenses. I had also to make a female pattern with an integrated guide. 

After some trial and rework, I could "press" 4 back-up lenses; one is temporary installed into the RH bezel. The other pictures are showing the strange construction. The female pattern will be used also for the tail lamp lenses; of course, I have to construct a male pattern.

post-108964-0-47153000-1436890838_thumb.

post-108964-0-35435100-1436890852_thumb.

post-108964-0-79714900-1436890870_thumb.

• Like 3

Today, I'm not happy. I spent a lot of time to make a new male die for the tail lens; did 2 today. The first problem: they are not red (OK, I did know that before I began, even by looking very angry at it, the Plexiglas did not turn red). The second problem is more annoying: each lens, also the one for the back-up lamps, have a crack in the vertical line. The crack is more or less pronounced and will not be quite visible, but I don't like it.

I will buy a couple of red toothbrushes and try to melt the handle over the male die.

post-108964-0-04665500-1437312959_thumb.

• Like 2

Today is a better day than on my last report. As I had enough to play with the Plexiglas, I continued with the headlamp doors. The original ones are held with hidden springs; a luxury I cannot afford due to the size. Once chromed, the doors will be secured with a little bit of transparent silicone.

post-108964-0-33962600-1437582190_thumb.

• Like 3

Friday, I went to the Swiss Mark II owner to take pictures and dimensions from the bumpers. He had a used set which is much agreeable to manipulate than the ones installed on a car...Even if these bumpers are not good looking, they were ideal to make pictures (no reflexion and to drag them on the floor!

Some time ago I began, when I wanted to do something easy, the A/C "thing" which is attached on the inner fender. A look from an original one can be seen on the first picture.

Today, I finished that assembly. Of course, there are no tubes or lines; they will be added right before the final assembly.

This element is attached to the fender with screws; I will have to remove the RH fender (once more) to do the necessary holes.

post-108964-0-28052900-1437929088_thumb.

post-108964-0-77612400-1437929426_thumb.

post-108964-0-06810500-1437929441_thumb.

• Like 3

As I found nothing which was "easy" to do and making sense at this stage, I began with the front bumper. After deciding how I will do it, I began with a pattern for the outside pods. At first, I intended to make them in one piece having just one joint to silver solder, I saw rather early that this method cannot be very practical. Therefore, I will do them in 3 parts, the third one being the "funnel" for the parking lamps.

On the picture, one pod is on the left, two halves for the other one are in the middle and the pattern is on the right. Of course, the parts must be trimmed to clear the front wheels; it will be done later.

To have a good surface without pores for plating, it is essential that the joints are as good as possible; the junction between the pods and the center bar will be critical in this aspect.

post-108964-0-64446700-1438517344_thumb.

• Like 2

Before I'm beginning with the bumpers (front or rear I don't know yet), I wanted to add a little detail: the windshield washer jar bracket. Maybe I will still find something else to do before the bumpers!

I see you've still got that giant quarter.  ;)

Just stopping by to express my continued appreciation for you carefully documenting your project.  You have an amazing talent and are very generous to share it with us.

Thanks Jeff for your faithfulness! There are few comments lately, but what I'm showing now is not spectacular.

Yes, I'm keeping that giant quarter; it's a chore each time I'm getting out of my purse!

Yesterday, I intended to begin with the front upper center bar to be done in one piece. I forgot that, in addition to the pronounced "V", the sides have a slight curve. I choose .5 mm brass (.02"), but as the shape is done mostly with a hammer, this material is too thin to be filed; the part could be too weak when finished. After all, this is a bumper...Therefore, I changed the plan by using 2 pieces of .8 mm (.03") which has more meat to be filed/sanded down to have the right shape. There will be a joint more to be silver soldered; that's the price to pay with such kind of parts.

Edited by Roger Zimmermann (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I can agree with you on that. I don't know why but the recent headlight and taillight photos really seem impressive to me. All that you have done is amazing but those seem really special.

When I don't forget, I'm taking my giant quarter, especially for Jeff! I hope also that ScarredKnightfan will appreciate my update; it seems that he is a strong follower. Thanks!

The center bar went well with the .8 mm thickness. With such quantity of metal, there is no problem to file away imperfections. Now, I'm coming to the critical point: reunite the pods with the center bar. With the front end assembled, the task is greatly facilitated.

On the picture, the bumper ends are not yet silver soldered to the center bar; they are just attached to it with a screw. This will help for the soldering keeping the parts where they should be. 

Before that, I must finish the bumper ends with the side bracket and the funnel-like part where the lamps are installed.

post-108964-0-33724400-1438875786_thumb.

• Like 1

The upper bar from the front bumper is ready. The pods for the parking lamps gave me a lot of work; they are not perfect, but I'm satisfied. There will still be some work to make that upper bar ready for plating; I'm not that far!

The part has been temporarily "glued" to the body with Plastiline; the lower bar has the support brackets.

Now, I can go to the lower bar.

post-108964-0-43689100-1439294812_thumb.

• Like 2

Some front bumper news. At least, I could do the first half from the lower front bumper. The less I can say, it's labor intensive. If you look at the picture, it's just a "bent" piece of brass...Anyway, I had to do 3 times the center part: it was too short at the first try; I removed too much metal on the second try and I had doubts during the third one! Finally, it went rather well. The brass is .8 mm thick, so there is plenty of material to correct the hammer blows.

The second picture is showing the tools I needed for that; a third hammer in not on the picture. Practically no other tool was used, except files, of course.

post-108964-0-59166300-1439817255_thumb.

post-108964-0-08537900-1439817277_thumb.

• Like 2

Look mom: I reduced my hand! Now, the coin is looking right!

I knew it!!  Roger has a shrinking machine and he's finally admitted to it.  These parts are really actual parts of a Continental Mark II that he has processed with his shrinking machine.  I've thought this all along because there is no other way to explain the level of detail and quality in the parts he has made.  Now we have proof!!

As you can see on the picture, the front bumper is basically finished. The bumper is attached on a temporary basis with 2 bolts to the frame; there is still some work to do on the brackets. I will be probably busy with that assembly for some days; it's time to plan the next step: either the front grille or the rear bumper.

What would you like to see next?

post-108964-0-29561700-1440340993_thumb.

• Like 2

I knew it!!  Roger has a shrinking machine and he's finally admitted to it.  These parts are really actual parts of a Continental Mark II that he has processed with his shrinking machine.  I've thought this all along because there is no other way to explain the level of detail and quality in the parts he has made.  Now we have proof!!

He must have borrowed this machine.

Honey-I-Shrunk-the-Kids.jpg

• Like 1

Well, keiser31, both elements have their  own difficulties. However, the rear bumper will be more or less a duplicate from the front bumper, therefore the "how to do that" is solved. The grille is a different matter; I have more or less an idea how to construct it, I have to try my imagined method. I would continue with the rear bumper, but I like to have some interaction with the viewers...

Must be over a year that I have checked your thread a couple of times a week and to say I'm still captivated by your work, is an understatement.

Grill would be a nice next step, especially as they seem rather intricate to make.

Gerry

I am one of the silent majority. I have followed your thread for a while now and am very impressed with your work. I am intrigued how you work the brass and wonder how you anneal it to prevent cracking with work hardening. As for bumper or grill, I have no preference. I am not familiar with this vehicle so am pleasantly surprised by every step achieved. Keep on keeping on!

I am one of the silent majority. I have followed your thread for a while now and am very impressed with your work. I am intrigued how you work the brass and wonder how you anneal it to prevent cracking with work hardening. As for bumper or grill, I have no preference. I am not familiar with this vehicle so am pleasantly surprised by every step achieved. Keep on keeping on!

This!

Tho, each time you post, I try to remember to "like" your comment so you know I'm still watching Roger.  Sometimes, I just don't know what exactly to say b/c it is so cool!

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic
"Just aim beyond the clouds" __ Barry Manilow __ 'I Made It Through The Rain'
  • Like 1

Roger,

What ever part you do next, we all await the outcome.  What the thread doesn't show are the many steps and hours and hours of trial and error to get the part to completion.  It is truly amazing to see this car take form.  From the early days starting with the wheels and tires, frame, body panels and on and on.  

What I am amazed with is the creases, channels, and all the intricate steps in the chassis and floor pan.  To see the components as you finish them blows me away.

If you took the part that you completed, staged it in a diorama and took pictures, the original engineers of the Mark would have a very hard time telling the difference between the full scale panel and your creation.  

When the model is finished, all the intricate details that went into the car would not be seen by the casual eye.  Only those of us following the design/build will have a clue as to what is under the sheet metal.  

Labor Day is here and it is the end of  summer.  Soon it will be time to head indoors.  Then we can watch the next phases of the Continental materialize.  It really looks like it is 80% done, but only you know how much there is left to do.

I do not know if you have started on or at what point you will be doing the windshield, rear window and door glass. I am awaiting that step. I want to see how you come up with the curvature of the glass.  Are they formed on a buck? And is it possible to find the material in the right thickness for this model?  THe fact that you made the headlight lenses and the tail light (most difficult in my book) lenses is astounding.  Guess the windshield and rear glass will be a piece of cake, (as they say) after those items.  

We await the next phase with the grill and rear bumper.  Then.....................................................................?

Randy

Thanks for the comments! According to your choice, I'm beginning the grille. Maybe I began the wrong way with the moulding which is just in front of the grille. This moulding is just pushed into the hole; the small brass pieces between the moulding and bumper are there to help to get the right position. This moulding will be the base for the continuation; I'm planning to do a frame which will be screwed on the lower air deflector and the lock support, like the real car. The small eggcrates will be added later. Contrary to the original grille, mine will be one piece to simplify the construction and assembly

To Randy: how I will do the windshield and back window will be treated in due time! They will be made with Plexiglas, 1 mm thick which is about double the "right" thickness. Once installed, nobody will notice.

post-108964-0-41778900-1441472094_thumb.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roger,

I have been following your progress on this project for a few years and look forward to each new picture. This is probably rather heretical on this forum i an not a fan of American cars. That is by the side, I was recently on holiday in Brussels and took some time to go to the Autoworld  Museum where  they  have a Continental Mk II as one of there exhibits, you probably knew that though. It was really good to see the car in the "flesh" and see something that has become so familiar. I have taken a couple of photos but  my phone has decided to erase all of my photos  :( .

Many thanks 

Peter

P.S. recover the photos

post-153386-0-21333600-1442238651_thumb.

post-153386-0-90102400-1442238686_thumb.

Edited by pjowsey (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

No, I'm  not sleeping! There were no updates for a long time for vacation reasons. After my return, I continued the grille with the lower frame from the grille; it's attached with bolts to the lower air deflector. The upper part from the frame took a long time because I was not sure if the unit could go as a single piece into the aperture. Then, I had to be extremely careful by joining the upper part with the lower one; no error was allowed as all the holes for the screws were already done! It took me one day just to join both parts with silver solder. As you see, the grille frame is in place; the moulding which was done some week ago is on the "workshop" floor. That moulding is attached with screws to the lower part of the grille.

The next step will be to prepare and silver solder the 5 vertical "teeth" as you can see on the picture from Peter.

post-108964-0-25681200-1443807696_thumb.

• Like 1

I always get excited to see if you have any updates and as usual, I am not let down. Every piece you touch seems to become exactly what it should. You are a magical modeler, sir.