Roger Zimmermann

Construction of a Continental Mark II model, scale 1:12

Posted (edited)

I'm good with whatever crossmember you choose to do, but I think I would like to see the first one. The chassis is looking great.

EDIT: Oh well, I guess I was late in replying, third crossmember it is LOL 😉

Edited by Paulie9fingers (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2020 at 11:25 AM, Roger Zimmermann said:

From the 4 forums I'm publishing this build,

Roger, do you mind letting us know the other forums you publish on? Best regards Mike

• Like 1

It's not a secret: the Cadillac LaSalle forum, the Mark II forum (I related there the construction of the Mark II and got a lot of help from their members; I'm publishing this new construction there just for entertainment) and a scale model forum: www.scalemotorcars.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That third cross member seems easy to do, but it has also his difficulties. For once, I did a scale drawing, scale 1:6 to understand the upper stamping. When the drawing was more or less similar to the various pictures, I continue that project with the die set for the upper end stampings. A good picture from an original frame will avoid tedious explanation. Than the picture of my drawing and the die set at the left (I did only the half to simplify), the part as stamped, but not yet ready and a stamped sample.
I'm still unsure how to do the lower part...

Chassis drive train done (16).jpg

156 third cross member.JPG

• Like 5

Very nice, does the lower portion have the same type of shape/stamping in the curved area ?

• Like 1

Thanks Paulie! No, the stamping is different, simpler. However, the curved area is making the reproduction more difficult; I will have to do the lower part with several parts silver soldered together.

• Like 2

To continue with the lower part from the third cross member, I assembled temporarily the trimmed upper part on the frame. I added a flange at the cross member as it's riveted at the upper, lower and at the sides of the frame rails, 10 rivets each side!

157 Third cross member.JPG

• Like 5

It looks very good in there, 10 rivets is a lot of rivets in that small area, I'm sure you've already been thinking through the installation process and accessibility.

• Like 1

Some will be accessible from the back side, some will not be. They will be dummy rivets! Anyway, the cross members are soft soldered on the rails; the rivets are more for the show!

• Like 3

If the upper half was requiring some tooling, it was more economical with silver soldering: only the end flanges to be riveted at the side of the rail were added. It was a different matter with the lower part: no tooling, but the parts is an assembly of 9 pieces. The pictures are attached showing the various steps.
The lower "legs" were adjusted by removing excess material until the frame rails were square. This cross member is very rigid, adding a lot of strength to the frame.
Logically I would now do the second cross member, but I will do indeed the first one. The reason is that when the first cross member is ready, it will be easier to locate the second one as I have the length of the engine and transmission. The second cross bar is indeed the support for the transmission, it must be positioned correctly!

158 Third cross member.JPG

159 Continue the cross member.JPG

160 Continue the cross member.JPG

161 Cross member ready.JPG

162 Cross member ready.JPG

• Like 7

As I anticipated, the first cross member is far from easy. I gather all pictures I had which were in relation with that element, just to notice that I had nothing clear showing the underside of the cross member. That part is not a single stamped element; a second thick piece of stamped steel is riveted to the top one. Fortunately, a member from the AACA forum provided good photos from his V-12. Thanks Alex!
Many element from the frame were available separately as listed in the parts list. Can you imagine the work required to remove a damage cross member by grinding each rivet, removing the part, adjusting the new one and installing it with new rivets?
Anyway, with all the pictures, I could begin. But with what? the front? the rear? I opted with the rear because it represents a rather large single element. With that, I could continue towards the front. What you see, temporarily inserted in the frame, is constituted with 6 pieces silver soldered. I expected to reduce the number of elements by doing the front flange in one piece. After grinding, cutting, hammering,  I realized that it's just a no go. Therefore, I cut the front flange (in the front at the picture) and will adapt it and silver solder to the existing sub-assembly.
Both pieces of brass soft soldered on the frame are just there to stabilize the frame the time I'm doing the first cross member.

163 front cross member.JPG

• Like 6

The upper part from the front cross member is ready. With the four integrated nuts at the front (they could be for the front fender attachment supports), 13 parts are silver soldered together. Some stampings were done: 2 round ones in the front for the radiator, two indentations at the almost vertical "tower" and 2 further rear for the engine supports. The tools to perform the indentations used much more time than the pressing!
Most holes as provided by the factory were done too; of course, the ones for the rivets (more than 20) will be drilled together with the side rails before the definitive assembly.

The next task is to do the reinforcement element located under the radiator. This part will be assembled with 4 additional rivets at the upper part, which seems not a lot. I don't know if some welding were performed to attach more securely both parts; mines will be soft soldered, plus the rivets.

164 front cross member.JPG

165 Front cross member.JPG

• Like 5

Great job Roger, that looks amazing. How big is that piece overall, can you take a photo with the really big coin. 😉 

• Like 1

Thanks Roger, the crossmember looks amazing and being able to gauge the actual size makes it even that much more amazing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Roger, I have tried looking up what size a quarter dollar is, with no success, please can you let me know the diameter to give me some idea of the size of the chassis? I am still finding your work amazing and enjoyable to read your progress. Mike

Edited by Mike Macartney
spelling of your (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Macartney said:

Roger, I have tried looking up what size a quarter dollar is, with no success, please can you let me know the diameter to give me some idea of the size of the chassis? I am still finding your work amazing and enjoyable to read you progress. Mike

Diameter 24.26 mm (0.955 in)

Thickness 1.75 mm (0.069 in)

Weight 5.67 gm

• Thanks 1

Roger, I have been away from the forum for a week, and, Holy Smokes!!!! The Cadillac chassis is moving along nicely. Very Impressive work as always.  Thanks, John

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments! Paulie was quicker than me with the dimensions, as I had an internet connexion issue. John, the next update wil take some time to be published, so you can go away again!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2