Roger Zimmermann

Construction of a Continental Mark II model, scale 1:12

Thanks John! Another post which is more or less déjà vu:

The rear brakes are now ready; they are similar to the front ones. The support plate has another shape due to the differences between front and rear axle. I can continue with the differential; there are 4 flanches to do: 2 which will be part of the diff body, one for the cover and the last one for the differential carrier or pumpkin.

By the way, did you know that Cadillac cars from 1932 had adjustable shock absorbers? The shop manual is not very detailed nor has a good system's description. If I'm right, there were 5 possibilities which could be set from the driver's seat. All four shock absorbers were connected with rods, adding the complexity to that frame. As you see, it was not an invention from recent years.

100 Rear brake ready.JPG

• Like 4

Roger, Your work is absolutely incredible. Between watching your build and adding historical data, like the adjustable shocks, is very fascinating. I may not post comments often but I want you to know I follow this post every day. Thanks for sharing your work and knowledge.

TomP 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Roger Zimmermann said:

By the way, did you know that Cadillac cars from 1932 had adjustable shock absorbers? The shop manual is not very detailed nor has a good system's description. If I'm right, there were 5 possibilities which could be set from the driver's seat. All four shock absorbers were connected with rods, adding the complexity to that frame. As you see, it was not an invention from recent years.

The shocks are adjustable with five positions via a control lever to the left of the steering column connected to a ride regulation gauge on the dash indicating  free to firm.

1785202773_DSCN4606(Medium).thumb.JPG.975c9fed6dcabc8b5ce6d1e992170094.JPG1139937879_DSCN4607(Medium).thumb.JPG.f90c50541e910850898c64a981e598f1.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Tom and Alex for the dash's picture/explanation. I was not aware that the dash had that indicator! The model will have functioning shock absorbers, the regulation will be there too, but will not adjust the shock absorbers!

• Like 2

Even if I'm shaping metal since years, sometimes I'm too optimistic. As the weather was mild recently, I went to my store room/garage to shape a piece of wood on which I would "stamp" the rear axle halves like the original part (first picture). I cut a piece of brass 0.5mm thick, annealed it and began to bang and bend it. Well, the metal did not respond like I wanted; the end result was just good for the trash as you will see on the second picture.
I had to think how to continue it; from 2 possible options, I choose the one which I will have to silver solder the flancs in the middle. The last picture is where I'm now. Of course, with a right die set, the pressing would have been possible. However, for that kind of metal forming, the wood is way too soft.

101 Rear axle die.JPG

102 bad attempt.JPG

103 getting better.JPG

• Like 4