Roger Zimmermann

Construction of a Continental Mark II model, scale 1:12

18 hours ago, Roger Zimmermann said:

I intend to tell the story from this model

Yes please, Roger. Please put a link in this thread to that story when you tell it!

Roger, I would appreciate any of the model autos you have constructed getting discussed. The entire body of work is remarkable, as are the individual projects. Wouldn't mind a tour through the restoration of your full size cars either. You are a terrific instructor in addition to being a talented builder. Forge on, my friend !! 

Merry Christmas to you, and the rest of those here to follow this project. I hope you all will enjoy the season.

Roger,

The lettering for the license plate look absolutely perfect for such a small size.  Tres Bien.  Again, a master at work. 

It cooled down here to the 50's and much colder at night.  Nothing like a Swiss winter though.   We are WIMP's  here in Southern California.  The rest of the nation is in a very cold snap and I am sure that Winter is setting in in your city.

But with the snow, it makes for a very cheery Holiday.   So........May you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a healthy, happy New year.

Randy

The snow went away almost as quickly as it came! We have not a lot of rain with temp. about 8 to 10°C. The rain which did not come in Summer/autumn is coming now! There should be snow in the mountains but I don't care what is happening there, it's not for me!

Randy, thanks for the wishes, enjoy that time and I hope for you that 2019 will be without incident, good health!

As it seems that my littles stories are of interest for people here, I will relate the adventures of my Avanti scale model. Unfortunately, I will not be able to do the same for the Toronado, I have just a handful pictures on paper. What I will do too, is the restoration story of my '56 Biarritz. This was the last car I restored. I wrote already that story in the Cadillac LaSalle forum as it was more or less still "fresh". For the two other ones, bad luck: it's too far away in the time and I could not do an interesting story.

• Like 1

At first, I wanted to paint the license plate a darker blue from a spray can supplied by a friend. I was not able to spray that tiny plate properly, I had always dust particles. While I often doubt about my capabilities, I tried anyway different paint, the same as the one for the body. Strange, no dust this time! The next problem came with the clear coat: the can I used for the body was empty; I had another one from Dupli Color but the can had a leak at the bottom. Result: loss of pressure and the coat was uneven. I’ll let time to get the paint totally dry, then I will sand it; this is the explanation why the plate is not yet ready and attached to the rear bumper.

In the meantime, I attached to the body the lower molding at the windshield; the results are not what I expected: the curve at the RH side could have been better; it creates a “large” gap between the molding and the windshield. To minimize that issue, I will put some black silicone between the molding and windshield; the gap will be less obvious. I have the same issue at the molding from the back window, fortunately less obvious; I will apply the same solution.

I did also a test with another glue to attach the letters to the body. The last product I tried is called Araldite, a 2 components glue. As the results were encouraging, I glued the emblem at the front fender. I believe I will attach the CONTINENTAL letters with the same product. Contrary to the instant glue, this glue let the time to correct the letter’s position; after 5 minutes, the glue is setting.

1055 gap.JPG

1056 finished front end.JPG

• Like 8

Roger, fit and finish on the Mark is remarkable, this is one terrific build.  I have followed your post from the beginning, and it never ceases to amaze me how truly talented you are.  Hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas, and a healthy New Year. John

• Like 1

I'll never forget when Roger started this process by making the tire.  That just blew my mind... and I was like "wow, this is going to be something I've never seen before".  That certainly proved true and it has been a blast every day since then. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Jeff

You could not have said it better. One amazing craftsman at the finest.

The only problem the Mark is almost finished.

Nelson

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NCollar said:

The only problem the Mark is almost finished.

Yes that will be a sad day for all that are following the progress. I just hope Roger takes a well deserved break and get his real cars out and go drive the wheels off of them.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments! Most probably, some of you thought, when I related the tire's making, that I would never go till the end as most of the people on earth would like to have the project finished before its beginning!

@Martin: when you go to a theatre, you know that the show will have an end; are you really in a sad mood at the end (it depends of course if the performance was good or miserable!)?

@Nelson: you have to find a way to get 12 times smaller! Unfortunately, the contact switch is just a fake; it will be difficult to start the (fake too) engine!

Roger, as far as the "show" (your project) it will have a great end.  The sad part is we won't see anymore progress updates that we all look forward to as this outstanding hand crafted model is being built piece by piece and near finishing.  I applaud your hard work and great efforts on creating such a work of art for all of us to see.  You are a true craftsman and very talented person.  Thank you for sharing and taking us on this journey. 

When a music show is good, the public is asking for one or two titles more (I don't know how it's called in English). I will do the same with a small bonus: the story of the Avanti model! It won't take so long as the story is ready, I just have to translate it. It will come after the last Mark II picture will be published as I will continue with the same post (if it's allowed).

• Like 3

Roger you are great! Though you put a few photos of each part, the car will remain memorable to most of us here. Want to see a lot of photos of the continental before you stop putting it. Also looking forward for the Avanti story. I am getting jealous, and asking for more. 

11 minutes ago, Dileep Gopalkrishnan said:

Want to see a lot of photos of the continental before you stop putting it.

Well, I don't know if I published all pictures I did: there are more than 1000! Promised, I will do some with the finished model. Thanks for your interest!

1 hour ago, Roger Zimmermann said:

When a music show is good, the public is asking for one or two titles more (I don't know how it's called in English). I will do the same with a small bonus: the story of the Avanti model! It won't take so long as the story is ready, I just have to translate it. It will come after the last Mark II picture will be published as I will continue with the same post (if it's allowed).

WOW!  What a great surprise!!  Thanks Roger!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many viewers are thinking that this model is perfect. Unfortunately, it’s not: if I’m proud about some parts I did over the years, the windshield wipers are not among them. I attempted to put a spring to keep the blade on the windshield; the spring is too small (because the space is narrow), the wire I could use too thin and I had about ½ hours to connect both ends…The result is with or without spring the pressure on the window is about zero! Well, as it’s a nice weather car, we will not care too much.

A paint problem was apparent since some time: with the day light, it’s good (it cannot be perfect). With the flash from the camera or with a lamp, a strange phenomenon can be seen, it’s like dust but it’s not. The LH front fender is affected on almost the entire surface and there is a spot on the hood and a tiny one on the trunk lid. The small spots are where I did a surface repair (do you remember the tiny holes or pores before my eyes were repaired?) and the LH front fender was repainted. My nephew who saw that thinks that the metallic pigments did a migration into the clear coat. Maybe…Anyway, the paint will stay that way.

Both attached pictures are showing the problem: the first one with flash and the second without.

1057 Wipers, paint.JPG

1058 Wipers.JPG

• Like 3

Mr. Z., if my GOOD paint jobs looked as good as your "bad" places, I'd be proud.  Thanks so much for this amazing build trip you take us on.

Roger, all really good creators have things that, in their eyes, don't measure up.  It could be possible that if I were there and you carefully showed me an A/B case, I might also see what you're talking about.  As it is, with the two pictures you've show, I can't see the issue.   I can imagine at the level you work it is hard to always be satisfied but do know that your audience is amazed at what you've done. 

Roger

If it were possible for me to slip into the driver seat I do believe in the possibility of everything working at 1:12th scale. But that is where your craftsmanship has allow our minds go. The journey was worth every visit and we all got to enjoy something wonderful as it progressed. It is kind of sad but very exhilarating to see what a person  can do. Again you are the MASTER.

Thank you

Nelson

Thanks Nelson!  I'm glad if I can add a little dreaming in the mind of people; the world is full enough from ugly things.

@Jeff: You maybe don't want to see the paint problems! To help you: have a look at the surfaced encircled in red: do you see the lighter spot on the hood and the almost white lines on the fender? They are the issue I'm trying to explain. Fortunately, this appear only with artificial light. I forgot to add that my nephew is working as a painter in a body shop. 

Paint problems.jpg

• Like 2

Ah, you're right, now that you've circled it in red, I do see them.  I agree with your nephew, it looks like some metallic has sought freedom in the clear.  That's probably why it shows up when you have a narrow light source.  You could ban flash photography ;)

Happy New Year to all! For the first day of the year, we will no overdo ourselves. Therefore, there are just some pictures showing the hood emblem and the license plate at the back. I’m glad that I have not to do another plate for the front!

1059 Almost finished.JPG

1060 Almost finished.JPG

1061 Almost finished.JPG

1063 Almost finished.JPG

1064 Almost finished.JPG

1065 Almost finished.JPG

• Like 9

Hi, I have come to your posts late on and cannot believe from the photos above that this is a model and not a real car - absolutely fantastic work. I will enjoy going back to the start of your posts and reading from the beginning. Mike

• Like 2