INNER TIE ROD

Don Hudd

Has anyone had to replace an inner tie rod on thier Reatta? I've been told mine is bad, I have the FSM, but wonder if anyone here has done it and if so, what I need to know. Everyone here has been sooo helpful. Thanks to you all!!!

Don

Done it many times. Usually it's the right one.

There's a special tool made just to do this job; Harbor Freight has one, or you can rent one.

Basically you remove the outer tierod, boot, and slip this tooling onto the flats of the inner joint, and remove with a ratchet. Make measurements before you remove so you can get the toe adjustment close when you reassemble. Alignment should be done afterwards.

Guest Mc_Reatta

I've had to do might right front one too. Definately suggest getting the tool from harbor freight. I did it without one, and it was really hard to crack it loose from the steering rack due the the inner end being crimped over the nut that screws onto the threaded end of the rack.

If you haven't done suspension work before, a trick to loosen a pin like the one on the outer tie rod, is to hit the receiver by the hole the pin goes through sharply several times on the side with a ball peen or other metal hammer. This should break a frozen pin loose without damaging it.

Penatrating oil all around in advance and air tools help everything come apart easier too.

You can get to the right one from the top, side and bottom. I don't think you can get to the dirvers side one from the top, but with the tool you really only need to come in from the side anyway.

Follow Harry's directions. You want to measure the length of the inner and outer rod together before you take anything apart. I go from the back edge of the inner rod to the center of the pin on the outer rod. When you reassemble adjust the length to be the same by turning the new outer rod onto the inner one. That should get you to the alignment shop.

Guest Mc_Reatta