6 Cylinder Model T engine

kuhner

I could almost build one of those Ford 6's out of 2 T engines... The crank and cam would be the tough part. I think a straight 8 Cylinder Model A would be easier and very cool also. Food for thought.

I wonder which timing it has, 1-5-3-6-2-4, or 1-4-2-6-3-5, like many early engines.

Thanks for sharing. :cool: Dandy Dave!

If Henry Ford built it then it could have the same firing order as his Model K ie; 1-2-3-6-5-4. One of the resons they do not run as well as they should.

That's a new one on me. Thanks for sharing. I have had some chats about the K Model's, and I was told one weak link was too small of a transmission to engine HP. There was one at the Brass Show that use to be at the Rhinebeck Fairgrounds a number of years ago. Dandy Dave!

Guest DeSoto Frank
If Henry Ford built it then it could have the same firing order as his Model K ie; 1-2-3-6-5-4. One of the resons they do not run as well as they should.

I wonder how much Old Henry himself had to do with the design of the K...

From the accounts I've read, he despised the car; it was rail-roaded into production by Ford investors who wanted a prestige car...

The firing order must have made for some interesting torsional vibration !

I wonder if any K cranks snapped between cylinders 3 & 4 ...

I don't think the drive train lasted long enough for a crank to fail. The car I saw was a completely original barn find with a bad transmission according to the owners. Dandy Dave!

Guest DeSoto Frank

The only Ford "K" I have ever seen was the one at Zimmerman's "Automobile-a-rama", circa 1977. I think it was a baby-blue tourer.

Did the K use the requisite two-speed planetary transmission ?

Model K chassis shows the hand of the same designer as the Model N,R,S. Bigger yes and some obvious differences like engine cast in singles not pairs but transmission, rear end, steering column all could be mistaken in a picture where it is hard to tell size.

Did the K use the requisite two-speed planetary transmission ?

I believe it did use a planetary transmission that was sized for the lighter cars. Maybe Henry did that to cut costs and push it though. Dandy Dave!