Tracing antique vehicle registration records.

oldcar

oldcar,

That is usually not possible. You may have better luck trying to see if the local tax office has records of the car listed as personal property for tax purposes at that time. The DMV Records

are usually covered by privacy laws (assuming they still have the records which is a longshot). Tax records, however, are usually considered public documents which are available for inspection.

New York throws them out of the computer after 10 years of not being registered. Our Plymouth pickup was registered in 1973, and in 2001 they gave us a hard time registering it because we didn't have a bill of sale. The truck had never been owned by anyone else but us since 1965.

In Virginia there was a re-registration required last year for all Va. antique plated cars, which added some new requirements such as certifying that the vehicle met all safety reqiurements as of the date of its origin. When I didn't get the same notice from the DMV for my Cord, which I have owned for many years, that I had received for my other antiques I contacted them and found out they had no record of the car at all, niether title nor antique registration. They had chucked it all. Luckily I had the original title and antique registration card. Then another issue came up. They had re-issued to someone else the tag number of the permanent porcelain plates that I had received from them years back, and they insisted that it would be necessary to issue me new (no longer porcelain) plates with a much higher number, even though the issuance of my plates pre-dated the ones subsequently issued to someone else. After a couple hours of what was quite frankly anger and disgust, I received a surprize call from a very nice lady in Richmond who had found a way for me to retain my old plates.

So, is there a lesson there? Better make sure you have original papers and keep them in a safe place or you could regret it, specially if you are in Virginia!

Guest windjamer

:)Now hold on there Dave, I was stationed at Fort Useless and found the folks at DMV to be right gentle,not at all like the ladies here in NY. Our Gals have a contest here to see who can make you come back the most times and just how many times that is. My 65 GS was off the road over 20 years when I went for tags, the young girl took one look at my old registration and with a big smile said this will take a while..Lucky for me there was an older women and with tears in my eyes I smiled at her and she snatched the papers from that there young-un and in less time than it takes for me to type this I walked out of there with new tags. Mommy said there be days like this.:D