Removing tailight chrome trim rings

Guest Fr Mike

Guest Fr Mike

Anybody know how to get the chrome trim rings off of a 1936 Plymouth P2 tailight buckets? Mine need re-plating, and nobody seems to know how to do this, except to plate the whole bucket and then re-paint all but the rings (!)

You should probably go to the WPC Club or the Plymouth owners club of some sort and ask those guys. DO NOT LET THEM CHROME THE WHOLE ASSEMBLY. I know that the headlamp lenses are tricky, but those taillight bezels may just be a 1/4 turn deal. Do you have a shop manual for your car? It should tell you how to remove the bezel. I think that on my 1936 Dodge Brothers taillight bezels I just sort of pried them off.

Guest Fr Mike

My shop manuals don't say anything about it, and everybody I have consulted, including myself, is baffled. I know they come off, but I don't want to ruin them trying blind.

Guest Fr Mike

Well, I checked yet again underneath the trim ring on an old '36 Plymouth tailight asembly I have, and, because of looking under there again after many other times, I DID finally figure out how to get the ring off. The spring that holds it in place has thre "kinks" in it aparently designed for a special tool to be inserted to compress it so that the ring can be released. It's really very simple (if you have the tool) and I can't believe we couldn't figure it out. I guess we're just not smarter that fifth (third? first?) graders. You do have to know how to remove the lens first, though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fr Mike

As an update: actually, it turns out that the spring has nothing to do with removing the trim ring from the tailight bucket. Closer examination reveals that the ring has several small "tabs" that turn under the rim of the bucket, holding the ring on. These need very carefully to be folded back.