56 CUSTOMLINE REAR DIFF QUESTION

Guest BOGART56

Guest BOGART56

I NEED SOME HELP IDENTIFYING THE REAR END IN MY CAR. I'VE BEEN TOLD IT IS AN 8 INCH.I'VE BEEN TOLD ITS A DANA 44.IM STUMPED.THE ID TAG IS MISSING.THE CAR IS A 56 CUSTOMLINE 2 DOOR. IT ORIGINALLY HAD A 272 Y-BLOCK WITH A 3 SPEED.THE PREVIOUS OWNER OF THE CAR SWAPPED OUT THE Y-BLOCK FOR A 302 SMALL BLOCK AND AN AUTO TRANNY.THE REASON IM TRYING TO ID THE REAR END IS BECAUSE I THINK THE GEARS NEED TO BE CHANGED. WHEN IM GOING DOWN THE ROAD AT 55 THE ENGINE IS SCREAMIN.THE TRANNY IS GETTING ALL 3 GEARS SO IM GUESSING THE GEAR RATIO IS OFF?? ANY HELP WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

The dana 44s were used in the wagon and the 56 car should have a rearend that is similar to the newer 8 and 9 inch rear ends,if its screaming it probably has the original rear end if it originally had a 3 speed with o/d. Since the motor and trans have been changed try to find a maverick 8 inch as it will bolt in and give you better highway gears or find a 55 or 56 that originally had a automatic trans as it should have 3.31 gears.

Guest BOGART56

THANKS FOR THE INFO.I'LL LOOK FOR A MAVERICK REAR END NOW. ANY ADVICE ON GEAR RATIOS?IF I WANTED TO CHANGE IT A LITTLE WHATS TOO HIGH OR TOO LOW?

A V8 maverick wil have usually 2.79 gears and thats what I have in my 55 and a friend has the same rear in a 56 merc and does just fine,look at a 74? and newer 6 cylinder as they are 5 lug and might have better gears. Granada will also work but 1/4 inch wider.