Exhaust wrap for a 32 Packard

tbirdman

For wrapping the exhaust head pipe, what would be the correct material to use. Any pictures on how the wrap is secured. My car when I acquired it had this cotton like material secured with what looks like baling wire.

I was looking at exhaust wrapping material from http://www.restorationstuff.com/RSC27.pdf

Edited by tbirdman (see edit history)

Assuming that the 32 used the same material (asbestos) as the 33 and 34, you can purchase it in a white non-asbestos alternative from McVey's, the Cadillac/LaSalle vendor. I purchased mine some 10 years ago, it's identical in appearance and seems quite adequate functionally. It's held on with flat steel wrapping bands.

You might also consider E.H.P. "wet blanket" from Concours West (Long Beach CA), it's non-asbestos, you wrap and form it wet and it dries to a hard, white wrap. Kit includes strap clamps.

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 1928Packard526

Tbirdman —

Materials to do a wrap of your exhaust which copies the original may be bought from Restoration Supply Co. in Escondido, CA. They sell both a non-asbestos wrap designed for insulating exhaust systems and the straps (ties) used to fasten the wrap.

I used a similar non-asbestos material and made my own fasteners from aluminum flashing more than ten years ago for my '28 Packard with very satisfactory results. I copied the remnants of the original wrapping in using the then available non asbestos material and then cut copies of the original aluminum straps which look like the "ties" offered by RSC with the exception that they have only one eyelet rather than the two on the RSC product. Modifying those RSC ties would not be a problem.

Attached is a photo from my car that shows the result.

I expect that what Packard did to insulate their exhausts did not change from '28 to '33.

Pete

post-50405-143138185998_thumb.jpg

Guest 1928Packard526

Ken—

When I started restoring my '28 there were remnants of the original asbestos exhaust wrapping and several ties still on the car. I tried to mimic this as well as I could with modern materials. I cut the ties from aluminum flashing and used a non-asbestos high temperature insulating tape I found at my local hardware. The tape wrapping looks like the original and the ties do too.

I can't say this is the same arrangement used on your '33, but I am willing to bet it is. There must be some Packard expert on this forum that can verify the approach. Since my car is a driver and not for show it has never been judged. I can say however, that what I did looks original and is serviceable. It looks to me that the RSC offerings of tape and ties will do the same.

Pete P.

Guest cben09

Hi,,,Back in the 50s,about 1 in 8 or 10 still had the asbestos covering,,very few were really good and we saved what we could,,,it was smooth inside and out,,,and was in 2 pieces,,I now am describing the 24-31,,assuming later were essentially the same,,It was split so the rear piece ran down on top,,and the front piece ran down to the bottom,as viewd from the right side of the engine,,I think they were cast and quite smooth,AND brittle,,[not too strong]Now a question while we got the good ole boys here,,How many of those mufflers w/cast iron ends survived,,,I suppose in the 60s most were replaced w/ modern stuff,,]]]] The radiation to the fuel line was the problem here usually in late June and July,not august,,haha,,,If you make a hook[2ea side] to hold the hood up about 3", it will just make the difference,,The cars w/the small radiator are more apt to have a problem,,attention to radiator and clean out the side plate,,all will make for a dependable ride,,,,,Please remember my experiance w/ these cars was before CCCA had a New England chapter and these were called BOUC'S,,,Big old used cars,, Cheers,,Ben