Modern Finishes?

Guest Dee Jay

Guest Dee Jay

I am new here and would like to say Thank You to everyone that shares their knowledge on this site. My question is what is the AACA's position on modern finishes such as powder coat or base clear paint? I'm thinking that since these materials were not available when a vehicle was produced that they would not be appropriate for a restoration. Am I close? Thanks

From the judging guidelines...

"2. A vehicle may be painted any authentic

color available for the model year of that

vehicle. Any type finish (lacquer, enamel,

acrylics, etc.) may be used if the final finish

simulates the original finish."

My common sense interpretation would be if it looks like it did originally, it is OK. It does not matter what materials you used to make it look original. If it looks OK it is OK.

Dee Jay,

A good example of what Shop Rat and MCHinson were talking about is Model A Fords. Since the Ford Company had enough money to afford dipping entire fenders in what amounted to 500-gallon tanks full of paint instead of spray-painting them, they did. I have a Model A I need to paint sometime, and I'm looking at buying modern paint at $200-400/gallon. Even if I were a lawyer or a doctor, I couldn't afford to buy 500 gallons of black paint just to dip my 4 fenders in -- but Ford could because they were painting a thousand a day. Ford did spray-paint the rest of the car. I guess dipping fenders in a big tank worked really well, but no one expects any one to do that now. You can buy pre-mixed paint from Mac's Model A catalog, not just the black for the fenders, but the 20 or 30 authentic Model A colors used on the rest of the body. It's fairly long-lasting, modern-chemistry paint, but the colors are right-on-the money.

Dee Jay,

Since the Ford Company had enough money to afford dipping entire fenders in what amounted to 500-gallon tanks full of paint instead of spray-painting them, they did. I have a Model A I need to paint sometime, and I'm looking at buying modern paint at $200-400/gallon. Even if I were a lawyer or a doctor, I couldn't afford to buy 500 gallons of black paint just to dip my 4 fenders in -- but Ford could because they were painting a thousand a day.

Yes, but Ford didn't use expensive paint either. You could probably duplicate the quality he used for only $50/Gal. Now that 500 gals is affordable. :D

Guest DeSoto Frank

Ford may not have used "expensive" paint (Old Henry did everything possible to get production costs down), but he didn't use a low -quality paint.

I've been doing some research into finishes for the Model A, trying to determine how I will paint my coupe, and Ford took some pains to achieve a quality finish on the Model A... at least the outer-body.

Exteriors were painted with pyroxolin lacquer, and buffed-out to a mirror finish. Firewalls and gas-tanks were body-color, but were left "as-sprayed" (not rubbed-out), and had a satin or matte appearance.

Trucks usually weren't rubbed-out, unless the customer specifically requested it.

I'm wondering how Ford achieved the dipping process w/o runs or sags ...

Modern Marvels last nite showed the paint process Kias go through. After a dunk in cleaning solutions it's fully submerged in a tank of primer for 6 minutes then right on to painting. It looked like the body was untouched, other than by robots, from start to finish. It was amazing watching the robots open doors and trunks to spray the pillars and jambs..........Bob

the tank was not full of paint.it was full of water with a layer paint on top,the parts were suspended overhead on a moving cable that diped the part down through the paint and into the water and while it was moving came back up through the paint and went into a oven to dry.

i have seen new model a ford fenders and the finish was perfect.

dupont centari that has been buffed is about as close to the dipped fenders as you can get.

DeSoto Frank,

One of the books I read theorizes that the way Ford might have done it is that the tanks were 4/5 full of water and 1/5 full of paint....and this mix was heated up quite a bit (not enough to risk igniting), and that might have made everything flow off better. The paint would have risen to the top of the tank where it would have done the most good.

I can see how this would have reduced the amount of paint you'd need in the tank, but I thought that any water you had in a car-painting application was bad. Won't water droplets in an air line wreck a spray-painting job?

Just my thoughts.

I met a woman years ago and her husband worked at Ford in the Model T days. Her husband did painting for Ford. He also worked for Dodge & Buick, but I asked her about that dipping business and the way I remember her explaining it the dipping part was to get the paint all over the said part, and that they did do some brushing to get it to smooth out and keep it from getting runs on the surface that you would see. Plus, if too much paint gathered in a spot it would wrinkle up as it dried. But they did hand the parts up so the place where it would run off and drip from wouldn't show. Ford would have had to have someone watch that process to make sure that the paint smoothed out the way it should. She showed me her husbands paint brushes that he used when he worked at an auto finisher. I've often wished I had asked her for them as she probably would have given them to me. There must have been 20 different style brushes though.