magneto horn

What is the proper way to test out an off the vehicle magneto horn? From what I have been told, Model T magnetos ran from 4 to 32 volts, depending on engine RPM. A modern car mechanic friend says that a magneto can be either AC or DC depending on how it is wired. Seeing as these engines were normally started on battery, and then switched over to magneto, can the magneto horn be tested by running it through a negative ground DC battery of from 4 to 32 volts, or does it have to be run through a magneto? I am assuming this to be the case, but if one were to either test a horn out on a DC negative ground battery, or use it while the vehicle was in battery, rather than magneto mode, it could be damaged. This may be an elemantary question, but I would rathewr look a little ignorant, than make an expensive mistake. The reason I am asking is that a party has one of these horns for sale, but says they have no way to test it.<P>Thanks, Jim<BR>uhldwm@ak.net confused.gif" border="0

Ford magneto horns, also known as "sick cow " horns are simply coil and vibrating diaphragm operated and are thus universal, I.E. ac or dc. just ground the body of the horn onto a battery post, pos or neg, and swipe the terminal wire onto the other one, preferably a 6 volt batt. The only damage that could result is from excessive amperage, but who's gonna try their horn for more than a couple of seconds?

The Ford mag horn will not work on direct current it needs pulating direct or alternating current.It dosn't have interupter points it relies on pulses to make it work.