Need Starting Procedure for 27-29 Model 70

The wife of a WOKR member called me to help her start this car. Unfortunately her husband is very ill. He was very diligent about starting this car every month but no one else learned the procedure. I approached the owner a couple years ago to buy this car but he just couldn't part with it - he liked it that much. I want to help the family (The wife taught me how to swim and our families went to school together). Just a great family.

I know how helpful these forums are - I have 1919 DB and have some experience with these vacuum fuel systems, spark advance, etc. I just have ever sat in a WK - so I don;t want to mess things up.

I will look for a shut-off valve to make sure it is getting enough gas when everything else has been checked out..

But what don't know is:

• Is this a 6 volt or a 12 volt system? I'll check with a voltmeter and check the tag on the horn/battery to be sure
  • Is there a starting procedure like the Dodge Brothers with retard/advancing the spark? If so, which control arm on the steering and which direction for retarding/advancing?
  • Is there a choke? Any recommended procedure with that?
  • Any sounds or noise that I should be listening for - I know these engines are unique
  • Fan spin direction? Don't want it reversing (if that is possible)

Am I making this too hard?

Appreciate any help. You can email me directly by replacing the AT with @ or just reply to the forum. I check it nightly.

Richard Pope

ltpopeATknology.net

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would let you know that Richard has very successfully started the Willys Knight and it runs like a clock. For those of you that are not familiar with the W/K, they have a sleeve valve engine that the more you run it the less oil it will burn.