Railroad Track Inspection Cars

Larry Schramm

coincidence... I was on that site a week ago. I found it by searching for old photos on google.

Unrelated, but if you have any interest in old trains and ever travel to the northeast, take the cog railway up to the top of Mt Washington in NH. Beyond description :) I was surprised that they have quite a few identical cog steam locos plus a shop to make repairs and make parts. Quite the sight to see them "steaming up" in the morning, getting ready for the day.

I worked for the Alaska Railroad for 7 years in my youth. Took a ride on occasion in one of these track cars. The more modern one's (well this was early 70's, so modern in comparison to the 30's) have the usual set of tires so you can drive up to the track as any normal car, and once in position you drop down a set of 'bogie' wheels to travel by rail.

Thanks,

Michael

The Mt. Washington Cog Railway was an option on the 1998 Glidden Tour.

We took it, but also drove to the top in our 1912 Oakland 30hp Touring.

Steamtown in Scranton, PA is another fantastic stop for train enthusiasts - it was a hit on a Founders Tour there.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Guest JWBrothers
... Does anyone have some pictures to add to this collection?

The pictures I have are not mine, but one's I found. OK to post those?

Many Thanks

Jim

"Life is too short to drive dull cars."

Guest Siegfried

Railroad to transport rail repair crews. The bus had front and rear wheels that rode on the rails. When the bus arrived at the tracks with the crew it was positioned on the tracks in the direction to be traveled, and the rail riding wheels were cranked down to engage the tracks. This lifted the bus upward quite a bit as the rubber road use tires had to clear the rail ties. Quite a unique dual use vehicle.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Guest JWBrothers

The Dodge photo is from Australia. I don't know the year.

I don't know the year of the VW or the Mini either, but the Pontiac is a '58.

post-66597-143138178749_thumb.jpg

post-66597-143138178752_thumb.jpg

post-66597-143138178754_thumb.jpg

post-66597-143138178757_thumb.jpg

Guest Siegfried

It appeares that most of my reply disappeared? It was about the Volkswagen Buses that were used by the Long Island Railroad to transport rail repair crews.