Old Tires

MarkV

So, I was in a parking lot today and did a double take I saw this old set of goodyear decathlons on a 1989 Chevrolet Corsica, I got the Dot number as PD1733HR509 I have a feeling they are original to the car? correct me if I am wrong? What are the oldest tires on the road you have seen?

I have a set of All States on my 26 that were "new" when I bought it 5 years ago. I don't think they had 1/4 mile on them. When did they quit making All State tires, 20-30 years ago?

We bought a 52 Imperial in Boise in June of 2001. My son and I flew out and drove it back to PA. I called the previous owner to tell him we had a great trip (2700 miles) and had the car up to 80 MPH for a short run. He told me that the tires on the car were on it when it was parked in '72. Upon inspection there were no cracks visible on the sidewalls but down in the grooves of the tread cracks could be seen. It quickly got 5 new radials and drives great.

Jay

About two years ago I removed a set of tires from a '56 T-bird. There were no DOT numbers on the tires. They were still in good shape. The front tires exhibited cornering wear. I don't think they were rotated since they were installed some time in the '60s. This car is driven on a regular basis.

I have a pair of Wards riverside 30X31/2and a pair of Firestones 30X3 that I put on my '15 "T" in 1956 and have several thousand miles on them. They look like they were just installed, with very little wear and no aging cracks. The car has always been garaged in a windowless dark storage. I personally think this has helped their longevity.--Bob