Minimum 10 credits to Judge at New Bern Grand National?

Durant Mike

I was going to volunteer to Judge at New Bern in May, but when I went to the registration section here on this site it said you must have 10 credits. I'm shy that but will accumulate that by attending the New Bern event. I could not find anything in the 2009 judging manual to indicate that at Grand Nationals you must have 10 credits or more to judge. Does the 2010 manual have something in there? Since it's tough getting judges I don't understand turning down anyone who wants to volunteer. Anybody have any knowledge on this?

I found this for you on page 94 of the 2010 Judges Guidelines. It is specific to the Grand National Meets.

5. JUDGES

a. CHIEF JUDGE – Shall be a Senior

Master judge and be approved by

the Vice President-Class Judging.

b. TEAM CAPTAIN – Shall be at least

a Master judge.

c. JUDGING TEAM – Shall be composed,

when possible, of at least

four (4) Master judges or above,

plus the team captain.

d. APPRENTICE – There shall be no

apprentice judges at an A.G.N.M.

e. All Grand National Meet judges will

have field judged at least once in

the past 2 years, attended a judging

school once in the past year

and have at least 10 credits prior to

AGNM.

And here is the information regarding the judging titles and how many points it takes for each one. I only listed up to and including the first level of Senior Master because it is the last title, after that it is how many credits someone has.

The award structure for AACA judges is as

follows:

TIMES JUDGED TITLE AWARDS

5 times Senior Judge Certificate

10 times Master Judge Master

pin, board

and certificate.

25 times Senior Master Judge Senior Master pin,

new board and

certificate.

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

Guest Siegfried

Hello Durant28,

Years ago I judged my first Grand national at Cherry Hill, NJ. I had 9 credits, and the GM was my 10th. What happened was that credit number 10 was to be earned at the Eastern Spring meet in Erie, Pa, and at the last minute I was informed that I had weekend duty for a new computer system that was just installed. I worked for EDS at the time, and there was no way out without losing a well paying job, and the respect of my co-workers who were also involved.

I cancelled Erie, and called the chief judge for the GM, and told him what had happened. He said I could judge the GM regardless because as he put it 'you're a good judge and I need you'.

So perhaps you could contact the chief judge for this years GM, and ask. Won't hurt and the answer might be yes.

Yes, I know it a variation on the offical rules, but once in awhile an exception can be made, and not hurt the hobby.

Thanks Shop Rat I found it too after I looked at the manual a bit closer.

You are welcome. It is back further in the book than the general information about judges.

I agree with S-I, you should contact the Chief Judge for the Grand National and see if it would be okay for you to judge. Until you ask the answer is no. :P