55 Packard Clipper question

Guest ktm858

I am stripping my 55 Clipper to send it to the paint shop and I need to take off the outside door handles and belt mouldings. Could someone give me some info on how they come off? I was told that the clip in the door jamb comes out and the handle comes off but it dosnt want to move and I dont want to force it.

Thank You

Stanley Sipko

Owen thats for the outside door handles? I know there are clips on the inside but I need the outside off so we can tend to some surface rust.

I have figured it out and let me tell you what a pain in the rear. First the door panel has to come off, then you have to drop the window down and soak the locking clip with wd40 or something like that then you have to bend out the ends of the clip through the hole in the door jamb and then tap the rusted clip to the left until the holes line up and the handle comes off. then the easy part is the belt moulding because they used push in clips.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh yes they are a witch(i'm terrible at spelling). I just got thru installing my door handles on my CLIPPERROD. I should never have to take them out again but if I do I have prepared for the event by spraying on an overabundance of white lithium grease. If the time ever comes they should slide out like goose snot. I hope. I also have some spare doors that I am trying to get the clips out but I am afraid that no amount of wd-40 will separate the rust, so I may have to cut them out, which would be a shame because they are good Patrician doors with all of the parts on them, elec windows, door panals, and chrome trim.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ktm858

I figured it out and adapted a old screwdriver into a tool for removing the clips. First remove the complete door panel then take out the screw that holds the window stop. Then soak the living daylights out of the whole clip a few times. Then I took a big regular screwdriver and on the flat blade filed a notch in the tip about 1/8 inch from the end ( to catch the end of the clip) then used a dead blow hammer and banged them right out. You just have to watch the end where it comes out of the door so the ends dont get caught on the door skil lip. It did work well but I think I used 2 cans of PB Blaster.