coils

Guest 1930

Someone posetd this a while back and got no response, can anyone here answer this, I am also curious to know the ins and outs as I plan to retrofit my original coils, thanks.............I am curious if there is any electrical difference between 6 volt coils for 6 cylendar engines, other than the way they are mounted. Coils are a simple high voltage transformer but since there are so many varities of them, I must be missing something. There would be a difference between 6 and 8 cylindar coils and of course between 6 and 12 volt coils. What are the electrical differences between coils for a similar application such as 6 volt 6 cylindar?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I ended up ordering a universal type 6V coil from Hagen's Auto Parts for my 32 DL6 about 6 months ago and it's been working fine ever since. It replaced an older universal one that had been attached to the inside of the firewall under the dash. The original coil (which I also have) was mounted to the dash itself with an integral keyed ignition switch.

While Hagen's showed a listing for the original style coil, it would have been something like $125...IF they had had one in stock (which they didn't). The universal one they listed for my car was something like $35 so it was a no-brainer for me!

Edited by Phil 32DL6 (see edit history)

I am also wondering with the cars being posative ground if that has any affect on coil selection?

That's a good question, and one I would have needed to investigate further, but, in my case, I just went with the universal one that they had listed for my car...and assumed that they knew which was appropriate for my positive-ground system.

My car hasn't blown up...yet! ;)