1937 Carlton body Buick

Barney Eaton

The April issue of Hemmings Classic Cars has an interesting article on a Carlton bodied Buick with a three way top. The article was written by Richard Lentinello, the Editor in Chief of HCC and a BCA member.

There is also a small but sweet picture of a 1939 Buick Carlton with the three way top in the article.......

Here are some pictures of one that was on eBay in 2005. The car was in the U.K. at that time. The same car?

Grandpa

I believe it's the same car. Look at the driver's seat in both.
FYI - The price of 59,995 GBP (the asking price) = $92,345 USD.Grandpa
The ad says the the car is "unrestored condition unmolested". It's nice paint if it's the original paint job and what are those keys doing hanging out of the dash :rolleyes:??

Don't think much of the hubcap..........Danny

Believe these are 2 different 39's and different owners. I have had emails with both owners 2005 - 2006 and have the engine number for both & chassis numbers for 1. Engine numbers are 699 apart Are Canadian McLaughlins right hand drive with UK built body (hence different hubcaps). Body is metal over wood frame in typical UK coachbuilt style

The 59,995 GBP car was advertised for about 20,000 GBP before appearing at the dealer. A good mark up :eek: I corresponded with the previous owner (not the dealer)

The ebay car was still avalilable a few years ago from the owner (an Australian living in UK)

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

I think it is great to see the post and pictures of these unusual cars.

The unrestored black car has round "turn" lights mounted in the front of the fenders.

Both cars has a steering wheel that is much simpler than the one on my Century. I checked the 1939 sales book and it appears that the Special had the same steering wheel with the horn ring and wire spokes from the center hub out to the outer rim.

Both cars has a steering wheel that is much simpler than the one on my Century. I checked the 1939 sales book and it appears that the Special had the same steering wheel with the horn ring and wire spokes from the center hub out to the outer rim.
I think the steering wheel is the basic 1939 Buick. Have seen the same on photos of other UK 1939's and at least 1 1939 Hearse photo in the USA

Barney: The steering wheels shown are the standard wheel on the Specials as 39 Buick correctly stated. The steering wheels with the maroon plastic rim and horn ring were called "Flexible Wheels". Optional on Specials but standard on all other Series. Interesting, though, that these wheels seem to be more common than the standard ones. Maybe a nice little profit item for the dealer. I enjoyed meeting you and Nancy at the Great Lakes Regional.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...