It Never Fails....Anymore!!

ol' yeller

Got my Reatta back from the mechanic tonight. I really enjoyed the trip home. For the curious there were 2 problems. The main problem was an EGR valve with a sticky valve. I also created a little problem when I installed the MAF. Evidently there were 2 locating tangs on the MAF. I did a good job matching up the upper tang but missed on the lower one. That held the MAF at a slight angle so it wouldn't seal against the throttle body. I guess it does pay to know what you are doing. He was very surprised that there were no codes set.

Once again, I'd like to sincerely thank everyone here who chimed in with their thoughtful advice.

Greg :D

Guest Bobby Valines

Thanks for the update. Maybe Some one will chime in and let us know if it should have showed up in the diagnostic? My friend had a blazer that would get a piece of carbon stuck in the EGR once in awhile. He would clean it and it would run good. Happened like three times in about three years.

Got my Reatta back from the mechanic tonight. I really enjoyed the trip home. For the curious there were 2 problems. The main problem was an EGR valve with a sticky valve. I also created a little problem when I installed the MAF. Evidently there were 2 locating tangs on the MAF. I did a good job matching up the upper tang but missed on the lower one. That held the MAF at a slight angle so it wouldn't seal against the throttle body. I guess it does pay to know what you are doing. He was very surprised that there were no codes set.

Once again' date=' I'd like to sincerely thank everyone here who chimed in with their thoughtful advice.

Greg :D[/quote']Glad you got it fixed! Problems like that are something us Internet mechanics would never have found. Sometimes it just takes a laying on of the hands and an experienced set of eyeballs to find the problem.

Both problems resulted in a huge amount of raw air getting into the engine. No wonder it wouldn't run. That doesn't explain the fouled plugs unless the ECM was injecting all the gas it could trying to compensate for the extra air.

Good Luck and Happy Motoring!