Need my clock cleaned

RansomEli

How's that for a title?

My 1921 Franklin has a dashboard clock that needs cleaning - maybe a bit of adjustment. Does anyone have a recommendation? I live in the Austin TX area and all the repair places tell me to insert a quartz mechanism.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Skyking
How's that for a title?

I live in the Austin TX area and all the repair places tell me to insert a quartz mechanism.

Thanks in advance.

That could be your best advice. Most places will make it look original. I had the clock in my 62 Buick changed over to quartz in 1990 and it's still clicking, ..working, that is.

There likely is a huge difference between a 62 Buick and an early Franklin. The Buick would have a cheap "clock" made of pressed steel and likely had no jewels at all. The Franklin should have a "timepiece" made with quality materials and jeweled movement.

You can clean old watches and clocks with lighter fluid, as long as it is not a painted face. Slosh it around in the fluid, then let it dry by itself. Compressed air will damage rhe balance wheel spring. Adjustment should be clearly marked like F-S . No lubrication is used on jeweled movements, so I was told by an old time repair guy.

Adding Edit: That's a good tip about a jeweler...just find an real jeweler :) not a mall type place.

Edited by F&J
adding (see edit history)

Guest Steve Hughes

I used a place in Denver called Motionworks Antique Clock Repair. He wasn't fast but did a great job on the 8 day rim wind clock for my 1911 Oakland. Here is a link to the website. I think this takes you to the form to fill out when sending in a clock, but you can get to the rest of the website from there.

http://motionworksantiqueclockrepair.com/Order_Form.html

I had the cuckoo clock that my father bought for my mom many years ago cleaned and adjusted at a place called Who gives A Tick at the Metrolina Fair Grounds. I delivered it to them in pieces in a box, my dad thought he could clean it and put it back together :eek:. They put it back together and shipped it to me.

Also, here is a link for Bill's Clock Shop and they advertise that they work on automobile and aviation clocks.

Clock Repair

Take it to a jeweler as West stated that is what I do. All of my clocks are still original. It may require visiting a few jewelers before you find one that will work on it, but once you do you will be happy.

Converting to quartz takes the oldness out of the clock. Many times they simply just need cleaned, adjusted and oiled (clock oil not WD-40). There is nothing like hearing them clang and bang while driving which you lose with quartz. Most originals have an adjuster to make them accurate.

I recently sent my Seth Thomas electric wind up (1930 vintage) to the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors near Lancaster, PA. It is a school, Museum and repair center.

NAWCC, Inc.

514 Poplar Street

Columbia, PA 17512-2130

717-684-8261 / Fax 717-684-0878

Welcome to NAWCC

Ask for Jim Michaels or Al Dodson.

BTW, a great museum for those wanting a road trip living in Eastern PA.

Chris W.

Guest Don2Gail

Hi, I fixed one in my 54 olds super 88 instead of changing it to quartz. I see someone said send it to a jeweler:mad::mad:. No No as a clock & watch repair person had alot of timepeices come in the shop to only have to be done over again. My saying in my store is I don't fix jewelry just timepieces>>> With that said try to find a good clock guy in your town.:):).. Thanks Don DBA Time Keepers

No. I don't think you need to convert to a quartz insert on a mechanical clock. I would seek a jeweler.

The key here is to find a jeweler who has a watchmaker on staff. Those are few and far between anymore, or are here anyway. Used to be every small town had a jeweler or three or four who employed competent watchmakers.

I have my grandparents' wind-up Fashion mantel clock and my grandaddy's gold pocket watch. I've finally found a retired watchmaker about 30 miles from here who says he will work on them. He was in high demand among jewelers here when he was working- they were known to undercut each other by offering him enough money to get him to leave one and go to work for the other.

I've usually been able to get my Oldsmobiles' electric self-winders going by disassembling, cleaning the contact points, and using a very light shot of sewing machine oil. A mechanical clock is beyond me.