1931 Cadillac Paint Color

Guest internashional

Guest internashional

I have a 1931 Cadillac V12 Town Sedan with the original build sheet showing Matisse Brown as one of the body paint colors. Have been unable to find any information on this color. Any help? This car was shipped from the factory to General Motors Canada in Oshawa, Ontario rather than to a dealer so I am guessing it was not a special order.

Try Auto Color Library at: Auto Color Library - The World's Largest Online Color-Chip Library

They have the original paint chips scanned at: AutoColorLibrary.com

You can't save them (copy protected), but you can at least look at them for comparison. You can always order a small amount (pint) of paint to get a feel for the color. I tried this for my 1930 Lincoln, trying to use original colors. It was the best $110 spent of what I didn't want!!

Guest martylum

Hi-In a recent call to the DuPont Color Library I was told they have no chips going back beyond 1933.

I then called a Ditzler vendor locally and he was able to come up with a mix formula for a 1929 Chrysler Co. color which we sprayed on the car's bead molding for a very pleasing effect. I had only a color name so I have no idea how closely the Ditzler color matches the original. Many of the color chip charts from this era are so badly oxidized you have to wonder how accurate the color chip is when the surrounding paper is oxidized to a dark ivory color.

Martin Lum

Guest internashional
I too, have a 1931 Cadillac Town Sedan. Last year Keith McGowan had asked the same question on the Cadillac-LaSalle website and actually ended up getting a sample of the paint colors.

Keith can be reached at 253-841-1126 (Washington State)

E-Mail: oldcars@comcast.net

Jay

Thanks for the lead, Jay. I will be following up.

Guest internashional
Try Auto Color Library at: Auto Color Library - The World's Largest Online Color-Chip Library

They have the original paint chips scanned at: AutoColorLibrary.com

You can't save them (copy protected), but you can at least look at them for comparison. You can always order a small amount (pint) of paint to get a feel for the color. I tried this for my 1930 Lincoln, trying to use original colors. It was the best $110 spent of what I didn't want!!

Thanks. I will be following up on this lead.

• 9 years later...

My 1930 data sheet shows an R-M code.  This would correspond to paint manufacturer Rinshed-Mason of Detroit Michigan.  So maybe they were a supplier to Cadillac or Fisher Body maybe?

I haven't been able to find Parketa Green (RM 23320) so I have no idea what it would look like.  The second color is Pinehurst Green (23320).  I did find a Pontiac color for Pinehurst Green which matches the same number as 1930 Buick Pinehurst Blue in a DuPont cross reference, so maybe it is the same color?  Unfortunately that reference doesn't have Cadillac listed for 1930. 

Not sure if this helps or not, but maybe someone knows something about Rinshed-Mason?

David