GM Executive Committee approves Buick Regal wagon!

Centurion

Some of the GM fan sites have begun reporting this afternoon that a Buick Regal wagon based on the German Opel Insignia wagon will be built at the Oshawa assembly plant alongside the Buick Regal sedan, beginning 1st Qtr 2011.

This means that Buick will offer an AWD Regal wagon with either 6-speed automatic or manual transmission.

This could be a very cool alternative to something like the Subaru Outback.

Here's a photo snapped last week at a GM facility in Michigan, showing sedans and wagons that have arrived from Europe for testing.

IMG_19971.jpg

Hmmm...very interesting. With two standard poodles, a wagon would be a more practical car for us. We recently had a loaner Enclave and Suzanne found it bulkier than she wanted...she likes the AWD of the Rainier, but we'd like to move toward something smaller getting better fuel economy as time moves forward.

Guest wildcat465

Hey Derek, built in Oshawa, you can have another Canadian built Buick - call it a McLaughlin, eh! I bet Suzanne likes the Rainier better all in all. It seems to be Donna's favorite ( favourite? Flavor rite? Aw crap, I don't know how to spell in Canadian).:D:D:D

NOOOOOOOO!

Don't call it a 'wagon'! That isn't automotive PC! Calling something a wagon in Detroit is about as bad as calling something a minivan (soccer mom-mobile).

Haven't you noticed that for the last 15-20 years, most car companies have done everything they can to keep from calling all of their little wagons--wagons? There are crossovers (wagons) compact SUV (wagons), mini SUVs (little red wagons), SUVs (wagons with lift kits), SUTs (a partial wagon with a little bitty truck bed) and on and on it goes!

Sarcasm aside, getting more storage capacity in a car IS a good way to get people away from truck-based SUVs.

Joe

I might get Rinda to trade in her Santa Fe for one of these....

It would be nostalgic for us since we had an Opel wagon during our year-long "honeymoon" while I was stationed in Germany. I flew home to get married and brought her back with me for our first year together. She made curtians for the wagon & we toured all over Europe in that little car.

Guest Skyking

Maybe GM should take a lesson from Chrysler. It will take a huge effort to beat the looks of a Magnum and yet Chrysler has discontinued that for lack of sales.

Guest my3buicks
Maybe GM should take a lesson from Chrysler. It will take a huge effort to beat the looks of a Magnum and yet Chrysler has discontinued that for lack of sales.

The Magnum while looking nice, was claustrophobic, and really not designed with good usability and ergonomics. Kind of like the pretty blond with no brains.

Hopefully GM will give a couple different options to this car , a more refined sporty wagon , and a more ute look AKA Subaru Outback, Volvo XC70.They seem to be hitting the nail on the head lately with their introductions, Enclave, Lacrosse, and the new Regal so let's hope they nail this one also and it become another favorite in it's perspective class.

Guest Skyking

Hopefully GM will give a couple different options to this car , a more refined sporty wagon , and a more ute look AKA Subaru Outback, Volvo XC70.

Keith, the wagons pictured in Brian's photo look like nothing other than more SUV's.............. Does Buick need more of them?

Magnum sales had slowed from their initial pace. Still, it's a neat car! Only thing was the extra weight they had compared to the Charger/300 sedans. Normal utility was a little better, but much better for carrying boxes in the back or lengthy items. A good concept for additional versatility, but the extra space's benefits could be discussed. Possibly the same with the new Cadillac SRX and CTS Sport Wagon?

When the Magnum was deleted, the production line space was taken with Challengers, which might be a good trade. No denying that the Magnums looked pretty dang spiffy with great "road presence".

Enjoy!

NTX5467

The Australian GM Holden Sport Wagon rear wheel drive is sold here in Oz (right hand drive here in Oz)

If you want 6.0 litre Generation 4 Alloy V8 engine order the SS V series.

GMH sell these left hand drive cars into Saudi as Chev's. Do not know if they sell wagons

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)