1942 Buick Vehicle Identification

Guest dneiper

Guest dneiper

Hello, I just picked this car up and want to properly identify the type prior to my starting of the restoration process. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. I purchased this car because the owner is retiring. A majority of the classics at Phil Bates Auto salvage are going to be crushed in a month or two, three months at the very latest. I have an idea what this body style is but I just want to make a positive id.

post-66435-14313817323_thumb.jpg

post-66435-143138173232_thumb.jpg

Guest dneiper

Tom, The car is not yet on my property, so the number plate is not readily available. I forgot to write that information down when I purchased the car. It was one of four that I purchased that day. I was trying to get all the paperwork done from my purchases which included a 41 Chevrolet Coupe, 64 Rennault and 1971 firebird. I will pick up the car in two weeks when I can get my hands on a trailer. At best guess what is your opinion. Thanks for your time. Mike

i,

I'm no expert on the late pre-war styles, but from what I saw surfing the web it appears to be a 42 and the body style is called a "Sedanette." That's about all I know about it. Others will likely be able to ID it with certainty.

It'll be a formidable challenge to restore, but since any 42 model is by definition rare, it will be satisfying to have done.

Let us know when the numbers become available.

--Tom

Guest dneiper

Tom, I sure will. Maybe I will ride up there and snap a photo of the number plate before I pick the car up. It is an hour and half away from where I live in Suffolk Virginia. Thanks again. Mike

With the angled B-pillar (back part of the door), it is either a Special sedanet or possibly a Century sedanet if it has the larger engine. Definitely a '42, which is rare in any case. The data plate on the firewall will tell you for sure. Model 46 or 48 = Special. Model 66 = Century.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, TX

Guest captbrian38

hi Mike, is that Philbates in VA of RTE. 64 going east about 20 miles or so. I stopped there last year and was amazed at what a place it is.

captbrian38,

Brian

Guest dneiper

Brian, Yes that is the place. Mr Bates is closing the doors. He told me when I made the deals on the 42 and the 71 TA thats he was closing the doors. He thinks they will start crushing in three months. Mike

The car is a 1942 Buick Special. The Special coupe models are:

Model 48 "Business Sedanet" (no back seat) 118" Wheelbase.

Model 48-S "Family Sedanet" (has a back seat) 118" Wheelbase.

Model 46 "Business Sedanet" (no back seat) 121" Wheelbase.

Model 46-S "Family Sedanet" (has a back seat) 121" Wheelbase.

Model 46-SSE "Family Sedanet" (has a back seat) 121" Wheelbase with Two Carbutetors

The 118" wheelbase cars are Chevrolet bodied Buicks. All of the Specials have the 248 cubic inch engine.

Grandpa

Sure hate to hear that "Philbates" is closing their doors and starting to crush. There are at least two or three 1971/1972 Riviera's in that yard and a 1960 convertible too. Of course, I haven't been there in about 10-15 years so those cars could be rusted beyond any hope of repair. The '42 was located not too far behind his office, next to a busload of parts. Three months huh? Some of you folks should make the trip. My wife even enjoyed walking through the place and she doesn't do junkyards. It was sort of like a wooded park, filled with rusthing relics along the roadways.

How does anybody know if this is a 1942 from the side picture. With the moldings gone, it could be a 1946-49 46 Model. Ahhh, but......I've got a memory for these old cars. I'll bet it doesn't have the upside down "T" tailight like all other 1941-49 Special's, but the modified ball and spear used for a short time on the late 1942 Special. Check out my memory after 10-15 years.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
Guest SPEEDJ1

hey mike i too have bought a 1942 buick..seller told me it was a 1941 but i think not...i would like to sell it if you know anyone interested i need the space..i would like to verify its year of construction tho...

post-79949-143138702782_thumb.jpg

Guest SPEEDJ1

I TOO HAVE A BUICK WHICH I THINK IS A 1942 CAN YOU HELP ME FIND A DEFINITE ID ON IT..THIS BUICK IS FOR SALE IF YOU KNOW OF ANYONE..JIM

Guest SPEEDJ1

HEY PETE I HAVE A 1942 BUICK AND CANT FIND ANY TAGS ON IT..CAN U HELP.I WANT TO SELL IT BUT DONT KNOW WHAT YEAR IT IS..................

With the angled B-pillar (back part of the door), it is either a Special sedanet or possibly a Century sedanet if it has the larger engine. Definitely a '42, which is rare in any case. The data plate on the firewall will tell you for sure. Model 46 or 48 = Special. Model 66 = Century.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, TX

Edited by SPEEDJ1
PIC (see edit history)

Guest lunchbox142

hey guys i am interested in any 42 buick specials no matter what condition if price is right.....my email is jefflocy@rocketmail.com e-mail me with some photos, price, location and i will consider i have a 42 buisness sedanette if i am right 559 built of my model....

• 4 years later...

Hello Folks,

I just hauled home the 1942 series 70 Roadmaster sedan I bought by photographs...

Frame, engine & body seems to be solid & quite allright, but the grille is 1946 and the body tag is missing.

Engine nr. 4 497 276-7 appears correct for the year.

Tittle states vin# 1 42 99 378 and body color 06/20/2008 - what this could tell de-coded?

Can I get the body tag plate somewhere?

Thanks!

40 minutes ago, tinsled said:

Hello Folks,

I just hauled home the 1942 series 70 Roadmaster sedan I bought by photographs...

Frame, engine & body seems to be solid & quite allright, but the grille is 1946 and the body tag is missing.

Engine nr. 4 497 276-7 appears correct for the year.

Tittle states vin# 1 42 99 378 and body color 06/20/2008 - what this could tell de-coded?

Can I get the body tag plate somewhere?

Thanks!

There is a guy in that advertises in the Buick Bugle that makes new data tags. 

4 hours ago, tinsled said:

Thanks Brian,

Any link for 40's vin decoder?

http://www.buickclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/bca_judging_manual.pdf

Nothing much to decode unfortunately. The following is for 1938 it may be different for 1942 so contact Sean1997 who is our resident #'s expert http://forums.aaca.org/profile/88178-sean1997/  The first number on the engine should match the series but  maybe in '42 its the one on the end (the 7) and the first 7 are the serial number which would jive with the judging manual and the first number on the chassis number is the plant code (1 = Flint, 2 = south gate CA, 3= Linden NJ if I am remembering correctly) than the 7 digits that follow are the serial number. Engine and chassis series numbers will NOT match each other. So its a Flint made '42 Buick Roadmaster with what seems indicate engine and chassis that were built around the same time early in the production run so more than likely a "number-matching" car.

Not much I can add to what Brain said.  Other than 06/20/2008 is not a valid paint or trim code for 1942.  Looks more like a date and I would find it unusual that a tile would contain the paint or trim codes.  The paint codes are listed in the judging manual (pg 47-48 of 85) that Brian linked to and the trim code list can be found here:

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/231704-1932-1975-buick-trim-codes-by-model/

1 = built at Flint, MI
4299378 = sequential number, range for 1942 was 4,257,442 to 4,364,444

4497276 = sequential number, range for 1942 was 4,457,941 to 4,556,599
7 = Series 7/Roadmaster (1942 was the first year for the series digit to be at the end of the engine number)

Edited by sean1997 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank You Sean!

Looks like my car is "real", numbers are correct to the year.

Only bits and pieces missing here & there...

One of the many parts: The external door handles are missing but the one in drivers door.

I suppose there is no reproductions for Buick door handles?

Only salvaged ones?

• 3 years later...

Coming back to the old topic...

As I told in previous, the body tag is missing. Was there any other place they marked the body/frame id /VIN in 1942?

1948 shop manual shows the place in right side frame, near to master brake cylinder, where the VIN was stamped to the steel beam.

However, that place was obviously not  used in 1942.

• 1 month later...

I would appreciate information confirming that a Buick engine numbered 45101395 is correct for a 1942 Buick 56C Super. 

The VIN is: 1430882

and the engine number is: 45101395

Am I correct in believing that the Buick engine number configuration for 1942 Buick 50 series is: 45xxxxx5 with the #5 designating the Series 50?

Many thanks

Ted Hamady

AACA/BCA

Welcome, Ted.

For 1942 and earlier, the series designation was BEFORE the engine #.

So the # would read 4  5,101,395  if a '42 engine

the # would read  4,510,139  5 if a '46 engine.

1942 numbers began with  4  [or 5]  4,457,941

1946 numbers began with 4,558,037   4 or 5.

Your number falls in between so looks to be a 1942  Special, if I have done the math right..   I believe there was no difference in Super and Special engines.   Both 248.

Ben

1430882x = car serial number (the number you posted is short one digit)
1 = built at Flint, MI
430882x = sequential number, range for 1942 was 4,257,442 to 4,364,444 (this portion should be 7 digits long)

45101395 = engine serial number
4510139 = sequential number, range for 1942 was 4,457,941 to 4,556,599
5 = Series 5/Super (1942 was the first year for the series digit to be at the end of the engine number.  Yes, I know, Buick pulled a fast one.)

So looks like 1942 numbers to me.  I've posted some pictures of the engine numbers from  two 1942 Specials showing the series digit at the end of the engine number.

1942 Buick Engine Number Stamp 02.jpg

1942 Buick Engine Number Stamp 01.JPG