Sign in to follow this  
Fitz

engine color

hi fitz, the engines that were blue must have been the chevy made six cylinder, not pontiac made engine. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor, poci.

Yes I think you're right, some Pontiac sold here were with the chevy 6 cylinder block (with lighter bigger bore I think) and might be blue.

Fitz.

Nice engine! I hope you don't mind that I am using your picture as my desktop background.

Question: Your coil is mounted on the engine. The coil on my '47 six is on the firewall. Which way is correct for 1947?

hi torpedo, fitz's engine is a 53, i believe all pontiac coils starting in 1949 were engine mounted. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Speaking of engine color and such, let me ask a question. The engine on mine was rebuilt about 10 years ago (2000 mile ago), and the guy that did the work never painted the engine. Because of the high humidity and rain in Florida, I have noticed that there is a lot of surface rust appearing on the engine. Because of this, I am going to need to paint my engine. Unfortunately, I will have to do this while the engine is in the car, so its going to be quite tricky to do a decent looking job.

My question is, What is the best type of paint to use, and also will the engine need to be painted with primer first? I was told by someone a while back that with some paints, a primer is not needed with some engine paints. I will probably have to use a sponge brush, instead of spray paint. It may not look the best, but I need to do something to prevent any more rusting. I figured I'd have to use a wire brush first to remove any of the surface rust, and then wipe the metal down good to remove any rust-dust.

Recommendations will be appreciated!

The best recommandation to me is to remove your engine. They are not so difficult to remove, and with only some tools. You can rent the engine host for a few buck.

You will waste the time from removing your engine for a longer cleaning inside the engine bay with all the thing around to protect or disturbing you, and at the end don't have a great looking paint.

Fitz.

I use urethane paint with spray gun.

I agree that pulling the engine would be the best way to go, but at this time, this would not be an option. Also, since I have never pulled an engine before, I wouldn't want to attempt it myself. Also due to my budget, hiring someone to do this would also be out of the question.

What would be the best methode for removing the oil and grease, without damaging the engine seals, etc...

Any degreasser could work, you can use a can and a brush and finish it with a brake cleaner rattle can. And just before painting it clean with a clean towel and a liquid cleaner sold by car paint seller.

This way you will have the best dry engine to paint. After you can use a 3M scotch pad to prepare the block before painting. Clean again with towel and paint.

This way you will have a beautifull engine.

Post picture of all the process..

Fitz.

Fitz

Thank you for the advice. I will be doing this I guess sometime this fall or winter. I was reading aboput the "Bill Hirsh" (spelling) about the correct temperature to use their paint, and I see that I will have to pick a time when the temp. is between 60 & 80. Because of this, and summer project is out of the question. Our winters are usually pretty mild down here (not counting last winter) so there should be quite a few days where the temp is within that range.

I will be sure and ducument every step with photos, and post them. Even if it doesn't look the best, at least that should put a stop to the rusting.

i would love to see the progress of your clean up.

Please post picture.

Fitz.

Hello Fellows!! Sorry I did'nt get back with you about engine color on my 39 pontiac.I have been under the weather for a few weeks.As soon as I can I will send pictures if I can figure out how to do it. Please bear with the old man. Thanks Doug

I noticed that on a few of the photos that have been posted in the thread, it looks like the spark-plugs were painted also. Is there a reason for this? I was thinking that it probably would be easier to leave the spark-plugs in while painting, to keep paint out of the cylinders. That then cleaning the paint off the spark-plugs afterwards would be an easy task. Is this the reasoning for this?

If so, any other tricks to painting the engine?