engine color

Guest Fitz

I'm in process to rebuilt all my 53 including the engine. I want to paint it but I want to color it right.

I do know green is the color, but sometime we see some blue or red.

For me I think the red and blue one is aftermarket rebuilt motor...yes? no?...

Someone can help me with the original green for 53-54?

thank you.

Fitz.

I will use indoor paint color chips to help the paint maker to make me a quater of paint.

Do you aware with the blue and/or the red color engine?

Fitz.

Fitz, I have seen some cars (there is a 49 2dr sed. in Hemmings for sale right now that has it's engine painted blue (1959-1965 colour), but is not the correct colour. The only red straight eight I have seen painted by the factory was the 1954 Bonneville show cars (2), but never a production Pontiac in those colours. Medium/dark colour green is what you want.

Don

It's the same for me, the 54 Bonneville is the only one "factory" red engine.

So the green is the only color, what about the blue or red, is it correct to think this was aftermarket or rebuilt (dealer product) engine color?

thanks.

Fitz.

Fitz, Yes as far as I know.

I have a question, Is your Pontiac a Canadian Pontiac and if so is the engine a flathead Pontiac engine or a overhead Chevy six?

Don

this is the flathead six Pontiac engine.

This is a mix or "hybrid" car, the transmission is Powerglide, dash is Pontiac, steering is chevy, but the horn button emblem is Pontiac, the battery, the carb, the exhaust is on the other side as the chevy is.......

We (Pontiac canadian owner) have to know our car correctly because many Pontiac part don't fit on.

Can post picture if interested.

Thanks.

Fitz.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bill Eveland

If your looking for the correct American Pontiac flathead color, the one and only place that sells the correct blue-green is Bill Hirsch automotive. They have it listed for 40-57 engines. Here is color on my 389 in my 55 Chieftain. They have the earlier flathead color as well.

post-66746-143138181154_thumb.jpg

Fitz, sorry I didn't get back to you but I was waiting for a answer that I posted on the POCI forum about that colour (not a one response to a Canadian Pontiac flathead colour sorry to say) I would assume it is the same for a U.S. model because it's a real Pontiac engine.

Bill, unless the colour of your engine darkens with age/heat my dad's 50 Pontiac's engine was darker, and so was my uncle's 56 colony chieftain.

Question to you Bill, what year 389, and do you use the original front type of engine mount on a newer type aluminum timing cover??

Don

Guest Bill Eveland

It is quite a bit darker actually , my camera flash brightened it up quite a bit.

(sorry for the hijack) I guess I should have done an intro as well. I have a 41 Streamliner six sedan cpe 2dr and a 55 2dr Chieftain. Right now on the 55 I built side mounts and not using the aluminum cover for the front mount, thats something I would not recommend to anyone. It is a 66 389,th400 and 3:73 posi rear end in the car. I also have a 60 cover to try and do the 3 point mount with the factory timing cover mount and bracket. Also I have a Hurst front mount for the 55-60 covers. Bill

Edited by Bill Eveland (see edit history)

Bill, Engine looks great, now all you have to do is get those aluminum spacers so you can use your original valve covers!

Fitz, sorry about the hijacking too.

Don

Guest Bill Eveland

Yes the valve covers don't look the part. 287, 57 347 scripted valve covers or some early MT or Cal Custom covers would look better.

Bill, the one I like is the 55-56 with the script of the original name for Pontiac's new (1955) V-8 Strato Streak, later to become the Tempest V-8, still later the Trophy V-8.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry about hijacking.

The engine is painted. Look close or it's perfect match for flathead Pontiac engine post war color. Are you agree?

Fitz.

post-64934-143138185708_thumb.jpg

post-64934-143138185712_thumb.jpg

If your looking for the correct American Pontiac flathead color, the one and only place that sells the correct blue-green is Bill Hirsch automotive. They have it listed for 40-57 engines. Here is color on my 389 in my 55 Chieftain. They have the earlier flathead color as well.

Fitz, did you see the photo in this post? Bill assured me it was darker than in the picture. I think that is more of what I'm thinking.

Don

Guest Bill Eveland

I used some duplicolor racing green I tried for my flathead, and yes the Bill Hirsch is a very dark blue green.

post-66746-143138185798_thumb.jpg

Guest bofusmosby

Not meaning to hi-jack this thread, but what would the original color of the engine be for a 1937 Pontiac?

Thank you!

I use two source to help me find the color I put on my engine.

First one is some green left on the block, and second, use the green sample show in the Bill Hirsh Pontiac engine color.

I do know this sample is not maybe perfect green but it show me mostly the same color I found on the engine the first time I clean it (in 96).

I saw some flathead with a blue/green color paint. I don't know what to think about, maybe light green is mostly Canadian? I have heard here from a guy near me in Montréal, there was some gray use!! I have never seen one in gray.

Anyway, the engine is green, and look not perfect correct color maybe, but I like it.

On some publication the engine is yellow!!! Some yellow engine exist really????

Fitz.

• 5 months later...

Hi Fellows I know I'm late but for what it's worth I just got a 39 Pontiac car 6 Cylinder with 7,567 actual miles and the motor has never been repaired and it sure is Blue not green.

Guest bofusmosby

Sounds like to got a hold of a true survivor! Can you post some photos of your car? Not only the engine, but the rest of the car as well.

hi, very nice workmanship, this is a very rare combination 1953 pontiac six and powerglide, not quite so rare is the six and hydra-matic in 1953. i have a 1953 chieftain custom catalina, i bought it when i was 17 in 1973, 37 years. i'm putting a 1955 287 strato-streak V8 & dual-range hydra-matic in my car to repicate the 23 factory production prototypes that were built in 1951-52, these 1953 prototypes were never sold to the public, but tested on the proving grounds. your engine color looks too light in color, but you said the camera flash did that, i know the correct engine color is very much like dark olive green color, no blue in that at all. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor, poci.

Yes I think you're right, some Pontiac sold here were with the chevy 6 cylinder block (with lighter bigger bore I think) and might be blue.

Fitz.

Guest bofusmosby

Speaking of engine color and such, let me ask a question. The engine on mine was rebuilt about 10 years ago (2000 mile ago), and the guy that did the work never painted the engine. Because of the high humidity and rain in Florida, I have noticed that there is a lot of surface rust appearing on the engine. Because of this, I am going to need to paint my engine. Unfortunately, I will have to do this while the engine is in the car, so its going to be quite tricky to do a decent looking job.

My question is, What is the best type of paint to use, and also will the engine need to be painted with primer first? I was told by someone a while back that with some paints, a primer is not needed with some engine paints. I will probably have to use a sponge brush, instead of spray paint. It may not look the best, but I need to do something to prevent any more rusting. I figured I'd have to use a wire brush first to remove any of the surface rust, and then wipe the metal down good to remove any rust-dust.

Recommendations will be appreciated!

The best recommandation to me is to remove your engine. They are not so difficult to remove, and with only some tools. You can rent the engine host for a few buck.

You will waste the time from removing your engine for a longer cleaning inside the engine bay with all the thing around to protect or disturbing you, and at the end don't have a great looking paint.

Fitz.

I use urethane paint with spray gun.

Guest bofusmosby

I agree that pulling the engine would be the best way to go, but at this time, this would not be an option. Also, since I have never pulled an engine before, I wouldn't want to attempt it myself. Also due to my budget, hiring someone to do this would also be out of the question.

What would be the best methode for removing the oil and grease, without damaging the engine seals, etc...

Any degreasser could work, you can use a can and a brush and finish it with a brake cleaner rattle can. And just before painting it clean with a clean towel and a liquid cleaner sold by car paint seller.

This way you will have the best dry engine to paint. After you can use a 3M scotch pad to prepare the block before painting. Clean again with towel and paint.

This way you will have a beautifull engine.

Post picture of all the process..

Fitz.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bofusmosby

Fitz

Thank you for the advice. I will be doing this I guess sometime this fall or winter. I was reading aboput the "Bill Hirsh" (spelling) about the correct temperature to use their paint, and I see that I will have to pick a time when the temp. is between 60 & 80. Because of this, and summer project is out of the question. Our winters are usually pretty mild down here (not counting last winter) so there should be quite a few days where the temp is within that range.

I will be sure and ducument every step with photos, and post them. Even if it doesn't look the best, at least that should put a stop to the rusting.

Guest whacko

Hello Fellows!! Sorry I did'nt get back with you about engine color on my 39 pontiac.I have been under the weather for a few weeks.As soon as I can I will send pictures if I can figure out how to do it. Please bear with the old man. Thanks Doug

Guest bofusmosby

I noticed that on a few of the photos that have been posted in the thread, it looks like the spark-plugs were painted also. Is there a reason for this? I was thinking that it probably would be easier to leave the spark-plugs in while painting, to keep paint out of the cylinders. That then cleaning the paint off the spark-plugs afterwards would be an easy task. Is this the reasoning for this?

If so, any other tricks to painting the engine?